account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Is my data safe if I return my phone to Sony for repair?

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Is my data safe if I return my phone to Sony for repair?

The touchscreen on my XA1 has become increasingly defective over the past several months. Touch events along the sides and bottom of the screen are almost never recognised. I've seen through web searching that this seems to be a relatively common complaint with this model, and since it is under warranty, I am going to return it to Sony for repair.

What I want to know is what precautions I need to take with regard to my data on the phone before returning it. I will back up everything, but I am still not comfortable with the idea that someone could gain access to my personal data while the phone is out of my possession. What should I do, or what can I expect? I am also wondering if, as part of the repair process, the phone will be reset to factory default settings. Or can I reasonably expect that it will be returned to me with all my apps and data just as they were when I sent it off?

Thanks for your insight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is my data safe if I return my phone to Sony for repair?

@osullic

After repair, your phone will come as out the box, with a fresh system, so all your data will be lost. If you want to be 100% sure nobody can get access to your data, wipe your data before sending it in. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

@osullic

After repair, your phone will come as out the box, with a fresh system, so all your data will be lost. If you want to be 100% sure nobody can get access to your data, wipe your data before sending it in. 

Rookie
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the concise answer!

Rookie
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

I just went through the process of initiating a repair. Once confirmed, I got an email which confirmed what has already been said here, but just in case it is useful for others, this is what the email said...

Here’s a checklist to help you get your device ready:

Data backup? We generally delete all data saved on your device and do not take any responsibility for lost information. We therefore recommend that you make a backup of all your data before sending us your device. To find more information about backing up and restoring data, go to support.sonymobile.com.

Google account or screen lock? For our technicians to be able to examine your device, you need to remove your Google™ account and your screen lock (if this feature is enabled) before you send it in to us. If you’re not sure how to do this, check how to remove an online account in the User guide for your device. If you can’t unlock your device, please enclose the proof of purchase when you send it to us.

Damaged battery? If you think that your battery is damaged, please return the device to the store where you bought it.

Charger and cable? If your problem is related to charging, please make sure you send us your charger and the USB cable along with the device so that our technicians can examine them.

No extras, please! Please do not send us your SIM card or SD card. Also, do not send us the original box that your device came in as it will be destroyed on receipt. If any of these items are sent in error, we are not liable for any loss or damage to them.

Order number attached? The number of your repair order is x-xxxxxxxxxxx. Please remember to send us this number with your device.

Packing and proof of postage? Make sure you send us your device in a padded envelope or suitable protective package. Request a proof of postage from your postal service provider and keep it until you receive your repaired device. Do not post the package via a public letter box. If you are sending in a battery with your device, you must inform the relevant postal service representative or office and request a restricted goods label. You must then apply this label to the package.

Track or cancel? Go to My support if you want to cancel or track and trace your repair order.