account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Compass accuracy

Learner
Message 11 of 23
Message 11 of 23

Re: Compass accuracy

Hello! I have tried those steps. My compass become better. But the yaw(north) value very unstable. Compare to my old Z1, the north heading still miss about 10 degrees.

Message 12 of 23
Message 12 of 23

Thanks for trying those steps Tony, doing that calibration didn't help my phone at all :-(

Next step that Sony Support recommended was a complete phone software re-flash via Sony Xperia Companion software https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia-companion/

As I'm pretty sure it's a hardware, not software, problem I don't see how that's going to help, and obviously that means some time resetting and getting phone back fully installed again, so I haven't done that step yet. NOT hopeful that will fix the problem.

Message 13 of 23
Message 13 of 23

To confirm I went ahead and did a complete software re-flash using the official Sony Xperia Companion software, however that didn't make any difference to the compass accuracy problem I'm having in multiple apps.

I talked more with Sony support and they agreed I'd tried everything short of sending it back for hardware inspection and repair :-(

I was going through final stages of re-wiping and preparing evidence for sending the device back when I noticed that although not giving correct directions initially when I went into Sony Service menu Compass test screen, in there it did seem to get much better, near 100% correct when calibrated via figure of 8 motion that hadn't worked while actually in Google Maps calibration screen.

On initially going back to Google Maps I still wasn't able to get/be presented with expected direction arrow associated with my blue location dot, BUT the real direction was now almost in the middle of displayed blue cone of direction, rather than being more than 45 degress out like normally.

Now currently waiting to see if that service menu calibration will hold, but there's definately still some root problem here that Google Maps, Waze and other apps aren't getting as good/accurate compass information as the Sony Service Menu Compass screen?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 14 of 23
Message 14 of 23

Just bought the phone yesterday and having this issue. I'm using Xperia XA1 UltraTried calibrate in service test , reset phone and it didn't help. Google map is inaccurate direction and compass 'low' shown. Any idea ? 

Screenshot_20171013-000317.png

Visitor
Message 15 of 23
Message 15 of 23

I have the same problem. I have calibrated my compass in service test, and the compass accuracy is still very low.

The compass does point somewhat accurately at the general direction, but the beam in google maps is too big and not really reliable

Message 16 of 23
Message 16 of 23

Thanks for contributing (and sorry) Keizj you have the same compass accuracy problem :-(
It would be really helpful if you wouldn't mind answering the below questions?

1. Can you confirm if your handset is a Single or Dual SIM XA1?
  2. Which country are you in?
  3. And finally where did you buy your XA1 from?

I recently had a further system install update to Build 40.0.A.6.162, but my phone compass is still as bad as ever even after full system wipe and re-flash.

Compass heading accuracy continues to be very poor on my handset with tonight me sat in a car pointing along a road in direction of my drawn green arrow...whereas Google maps vague cone of direction indicator suggested I was facing the opposite way!!!sketch-1511810726038.pngGoogle Maps suggesting vague cone in completely wrong direction to green arrow I was facing along road!

Visitor
Message 17 of 23
Message 17 of 23

Hi DigitalAmoeba,

I am actually using the XA1 Ultra. I am from Singapore, i bought it from Starhub, one of the 3 major telcos in Singapore (not sure if this helps haha)

Im sorry to hear that your compass beam is so inaccurate!! My compass generally points in the right direction (somewhat in the middle of the wide beam). 

I feel that it is a software problem, as the compass seems quite accurate on the sony service test. 

One time poster
Message 18 of 23
Message 18 of 23

Compass not working

I using many program to determinat the qubla of Muslims such as Muslim pro

Pioneer
Message 19 of 23
Message 19 of 23

Re: Compass not working

There are more having this problem.

See this thread.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
One time poster
Message 20 of 23
Message 20 of 23

My dual sim XA1 does not calibrate better than low using Google Maps or Service Tests. All compass-related apps I've tried seem to share the inaccuracy.