account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

xperia xa1 ultra mic problem

Message 11 of 18
Message 11 of 18

Re: xperia xa1 ultra mic problem

Is there any solution around?

Learner
Message 12 of 18
Message 12 of 18

yesterday there was a new sony xperia update. So i could talk only one day with mic. But its suddenly stop working again. This is definitely software problem...

Learner
Message 13 of 18
Message 13 of 18

I am having the same problem... 

I am starting to think there is no solution... 

Sony Staff, would you report this problem and come back with a solution?

Its the second time this happens to me with a Sony model. Starting to fear I wont be buying Sony anymore... Thats a shame. 

One time poster
Message 14 of 18
Message 14 of 18

I have the same problem 

One time poster
Message 15 of 18
Message 15 of 18

New Solution

I purchased a used Xperia XA1 Ultra a couple of days ago and to my dismay the primary microphone was not functioning properly.  On call, static was the only audible noise.  This indicates that there is an issue with the primary microphone.  The primary microphone is only for calling purposes.  All other microphone functions are served by the secondary microphone on the top of the phone, near the audio jack.  As documented by numerous other users, a software issue is suspected.  I made numerous unsuccessful attempts to resolve the issues through software manipulation.  I then read that the issue can be caused by the microphone screen becoming clogged with grime.  I used a pin to remove the screen, however this did not resolve the issue.  I then went to the service tests *#*#7378423#*#* and began testing the microphone which would function intermittently.  After failing the microphone service test multiple times, I decided to strike the microphone against the palm of my hand during the test, which solved the issue. After passing numerous microphone service tests, I put my silicone case back on the phone, and the microphone stopped functioning.  I removed the case and performed the service test once again and failed.  I performed the service test yet again, striking the microphone directly with a knuckle, and the microphone began to function.  I have determined that it is the case itself that causes an electrical issue with the microphone which is compounded by the pressure applied by the case to the corners of the phone body.  When testing the microphone, if you can hear static but nothing else is audible, strike the microphone during the test and listen for the sound of the strike.  I was unable to resolve the microphone issue by directly striking the microphone while the silicone case is on the phone.  I had a similar issue with a failing keyboard on the blackberry Q10.  By removing the back of the phone and placing a thin piece of cardboard directly behind the keyboard and replacing the back cover, I was able to resolve the keyboard issue.  I suspect it is a similar issue with the XA1 Ultra.  I may try removing the back cover and placing a strip of cardboard over the microphone board to improve the electrical contact of the ribbon connector.  If you have sent your phone for service and it is returned and the issue persists, I suspect that the microphone is tested by an automated process and there is audible static therefore the microphone will pass an automated test because it would be measuring audible sound(static) not audible speach.  I hope this explanation helps others resolve this issue with an otherwise wonderful phone.

Apprentice
Message 16 of 18
Message 16 of 18

Hello Everybody,
thank you for your help. I have tested all things that was written here and i heared my voices and the knocking on the telephone, but nobody can hear me talk at the telephone. Its not the right solution. Furthermore I tested in the safe modus. Its the same.´No Solution.

I hope for a better time with my Xperia in the future an a software update..

Visitor
Message 17 of 18
Message 17 of 18

I did all the above nothing happening ... I have to resolve to using headphones only 

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 18 of 18
Message 18 of 18

Hello, I have the same problem as the microphone, take the phone for warranty a month ago and they solved the problem, they said it was a problem of hardware, but again I had the same fault today.

I hope Sony gives us some solution to this problem, this problem is annoying.