account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Touchscreen ghosting

Learner
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

Touchscreen ghosting

Hello,
I have had an Xperia xa1 ultra that I purchased from Best Buy for a few months only and I am having serious issues with my touch screen.
When using the phone and touching or swiping things near the top of the display, random "ghost" touches cause other things to act as though they are being touched or swiped although they are not. This causes elements on screen to move about sporadically and even delete things at times. At times I can just touch the screen and it will do things randomly for even a few seconds until I got it again.
I understand this may be a hardware quality issue. I am using no even protectors or anything and the screen has never recorded damage either. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. 

18 REPLIES 18
Emperor
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

Re: Touchscreen ghosting

@Sgustin

You can test the touchscreen 

Could you test your device?

Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test

Oreo
Settings > Support > Tests

You can also boot in >>> safe mode to test the phone, if you experience issues, you might want to take it back to BestBuy

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

Yes I have done the testing. I also have Sony warranty still covering the phone. Do you think they will help? I'm not sure how accommodating best buy will be. 

Emperor
Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

@Sgustin

Stop by any BestBuy store and tell them that the phone has a touchscreen issue. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

Hey Sgustin,

i have the same problem with my XA1 Ultra, too.

But i noticed something during this "ghost touches".

It is only happening when i play games or use applications which need much battery to run them.

The battery is also getting extrem warm and finaly the display, too.

I think, that is the reason.

Maybe you should test it by you 're own...

"Gear up, we aren't going for a windy walk here!"
Learner
Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

I have the same issue with the top part of my screen. Maybe the top 1/2inch or so. It's really glitchy. Sometimes swipes to the side air pulls down the notification shade.  There seems to be no correlation as to when it happens either. The battery is not hot...i don't pay games... Restarting doesn't help.

It's enough that I want to get rid of the phone. 

Learner
Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

@uliwooly

So I've tested the phone in safe mode. This seems to temporarily solve the problem. I cannot recreate the problem in safe mode, but the problem returns after a while when I boot up normally.

This leads me to believe that it is an app or task running causing some issues. I cannot seem to figure out which app, though. Is there any way to do this besides just deleting every app one by one? And could the problem be related to firmware or some other built in Sony software, since many others seem to have the same issue?

Thanks! 

Learner
Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

@peasfrog

This is very close to exactly my issue, yet mine covers a little more of the screen. Often i can place and keep one finger lower on the screen and then I my touches are accurate again up top. Very strange. Let me know if you find a solution, perhaps an app or something that you find is causing it. 

Apprentice
Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

Unable to touch anything at top of screen

Hi all, after using my phone for a few minutes I am unable to touch anything at the top of the screen. It seems to be unable to determine where I am touching it.  I turned on the option in the development menu that shows where you are touching the screen and when I try to, say, touch the Google search bar, I can see the touch indicators freaking out at the top of the screen. 

I did a hard reset and it didn't help.

Any advice is appreciated. 

Apprentice
Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

I just started a new thread with this exact same issue.

Not sure if matters but my XA1 came from BestBuy too.