account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Remove bloatware frm my owned unlocked phone X series all

Rookie
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Remove bloatware frm my owned unlocked phone X series all

I own this unlocked xa1ultra phone outright. Want other Sony product purchasers to join in a petition to Sony to update X Series so you can remove bloatware junk like swiftkeyboard, facebook, spotify, contacts, what's new AND activate disable buttons for all apps.

This was my first Sony smartphone. It will be my last unless this garbage can be removed. Had no idea when I bought this unlocked phone. Thanks for joining in petition!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Remove bloatware frm my owned unlocked phone X series all

Yes. There is too much bloated apps. Csn we remove them pls

Rookie
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

I know. The Sony bloatware is really way too much harddrive space, memory, and battery. Come on, Sony smartphone owners, speak up! Sony needs to permit removal via a system update rather than rooting phone. Just ridiculous. What? You get paid by Spotify, Facebook, AVG, et al to inflict this waste of smartphone on consumers? Not what one buys an unlocked phone for. These consumers aren't buying your software choices either, especially since it's not listed in any Sony soecifications about the phone pre-purchase.

Remove the crappy bloatware! Allow consumers to disable Sony software, too. Your video player and music really not the best. Drawing not needed. At least warn consumers in huge letters in the specs that all this junk is there. Would have sent me on to HTC if it was.

Rookie
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Does Sony ever reply to customer complaints? Hello?

Pioneer
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Hi @qquirks & @Clementandre,

Just so you know, it is a common policy for manufacturers to prevent some applications from being disabled or uninstalled... Some manufacturers prevent the disabling or uninstall of all applications, others it's only certain applications.

And I can appreciate your frustration, this annoys me too.

But you would need to raise these issues with your local Sony Customer Care Team, as this is primarily a support forum, and suggestions for a change in policies are probably not going to go too far "up the food chain".

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Rookie
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

It may be common for mfrers to add bloatware, hp, Samsung, and now Sony, but consumers don't have to accept it! Don't throw in the towel so easily!

Those of you who love FB, Spotify, AVG, great. But Sony without notification is forcing consumers to keep it. That's just wrong! It's the smartphone you paid extra to get unlocked. And Sony loads it with rubbish you can't remove. WRONG!

Xa1 ultra plus. Android 7.1.1, patches to Nov. 2017. 64 gb of storage encrypted. 4gb Ram. Single locked Sim. 64gb SD card storage.  How is it you are planning on helping? Thanks.

Pioneer
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Have you tried disabling or uninstalling applications you don't want, though?

Settings-->Apps--><application name>-->Disable or Uninstall

Most non-System applications can be uninstalled or removed from Sony mobile devices made in the last couple of years... There's always going to be some exceptions (such as "What's New"), but the vast majority of pre-installed applications can be disabled or uninstalled.

Try that and see how you go...

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Rookie
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Thanks, gregoryopera

Yup. I assume my xa1 ultra plus made 2017 bc I bought it in October, obviously without enough research, for its screen size.

There are too many apps you can't disable. There is button there; it simply does nothing.  and many you can't uninstall, like Facebook, AVG, Spotify, PlayStation, FM radio, Sketch, Lounge, Sony video, music, tips,miobile transfer, ad nauseum. Just ridiculous since buyers are looking for decent unlocked mid-range phone where they control the carrier. 

What makes Sony think they shouldn't be allowed to control the software? I won't buy another Sony smartphone at this point. They must get some software kickback for what's included, don't you think? Don't buy Samsung, hp, LG for same reason. Hate Apple.

I buy cellphones for 6. Hope Sony can replace all the dissatisfied customers.

One time poster
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Well many times it makes the whole system freesing and or apps

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I agree

the phone is good hardware, the software is total rubbish. I used to use the nexus devices until pixel came along and priced me out. I guess i have been spoilt by stock android. The bloatware on this phone is so annoying. even if you disable the apps they still update and i still get notifications from 'whats new' despite turning them off 5 times. I dont care whats new with sony, nothing could interest me less than whats new with sony, the large hadron collider can see particles, actual particles, even with this instrument i could not find my interest in whats new for sony. yet just a promotion app to tell you whats new can not be silenced, disabled or uninstalled it just sits there annoying me and taking up space i have paid for on my phone.

Sony have ruined a great phone.

i will never buy a bloatwared phone again. Stock android all the way! perhaps i shall do over a bank so i can get a pixel 3. Oh nexus devices i miss you so much. I got this phone because i read sony do the least to android on their phones. this is nonsence.