account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

In call volume - people can't hear me

Visitor
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

In call volume - people can't hear me

Hi. I recently bought a brand new XA1 Ultra and everything was working fine until today. From today, people can't hear me when I'm trying to have a call with them but only when I have the phone next to me year; when I switch to speaker mode, everything is fine. I read that I'm supposed to switch off "Microphone noise suppression" but I don't seem to have this option in my phone. What should I do ?

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: In call volume - people can't hear me

Hi @xChosenOne, sorry to hear about this and I apologize for the late reply to your post. Slightly frowning Face

When you are using the speaker phone, the second microphone is used and not the regular one, so it seems to be this microphone that isn't working as it should.

Have you tried this microphone outside of a call? You can do so in Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Microphone.

Noise suppression is enabled by default and can't be turned off.

Let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

It's okay, thank you replying. I didn't know my phone has two microphones, I thought it just has one. The thing is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but people can always hear me when I'm on the speaker and yes I went through the entire diagnostics process several times. It's a shame it can't be turned off, I really like the phone and I really don't want to give it back to the shop because they're just gonna keep it for two weeks and then they'll give it back to me saying they couldn't find any faults in it.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

You're welcome! Slightly smiling Face

Was the microphone working in the diagnostics test when you tried it or did the test for the microphone fail? You can also make sure that your device is not too far away from your ear/mouth when not using the speaker phone.

If it is was working in the test, try and change the preferred network type in your device and see if you experience the same behaviour during calls when using the device at the ear and not the speaker phone.

To change the preferred network type, go to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Preferred network type > GSM Only. You can also try with a different SIM card in your device.

Keep me posted! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

I have been having the same problem with my XA1 Ultra. The phone has already been in for repairs where they replaced the mic but the problem has returned. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Hi @LeonidasAlberion, sorry to hear about your device. Slightly frowning Face

Was the microphone working during calls directly after the repair, or did you experience the same behaviour even after the microphone was replaced at the service centre?

Have you tried changing the network mode in your device? If you haven't done that, I would recommending doing so. You can also ask a friend, colleague or a family member if you can borrow their SIM card and try it out in your device, so we can make sure that this is not caused by the network.

Let me know how it goes!

One time poster
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

seems to me your clutching at straws.....the network should not make any difference whatsoever...i have the same problem with my phone and this has just been returned from sony engineers...who supposedly tested it with a call......great in loudspeaker mode ...but nobody can hear me in normal mode......i will never buy a sone phone again

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Hi @sailor223, sorry to hear that. Slightly frowning Face

The network can be the culprit, for example, if you are in an area where you have a bad reception which will impact on the quality of the call, but in your case where it works fine when using the loud speaker, the network should not have any impact on this.

Do I understand correctly that you received the device back without it being repaired as the technician at the authorized service centre was not able replicate this behaviour? If that is correct, how's the microphone working in the test of the device? You can find the test in Settings > Support > Xperia tests > Microphone.

Make sure that you are not covering the microphone with anything and on the link below, you can see where the microphone is placed in your device (number 11).

https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiaxa1ultra/userguide/overview---rd/

Let me know how it went!

One time poster
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

My phone has the same exact problem, beyond frustrated with this phone. 

Is there a solution to this problem and what is the problem I am experiencing with the phone. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hi @Rogersbme, sorry to hear about your device. Slightly frowning Face

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting that I have posted in this thread? The microphone test may have changed a bit depending on if you have updated the Support application or not, so it's either in Settings > Support > Xperia tests > Microphone, or Settings > Support > Xperia tests > Media.

Let me know how it goes!