account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Android 8.0 oreo upgrade for Xperia Xa1-ultra - what's new?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Android 8.0 oreo upgrade for Xperia Xa1-ultra - what's new?

I'd like to know which capabilities of the general Oreo were NOT brought into the Xperia version of it, more specifically this new delivery for my phone, the xa1 ultra. 

On the other hand, because I'm not very familiar with the oreo, could anyone please tell me what's new if compared to the previous system. Its just that I've been using it for a couple of days now, after installing the upgrade, however, and apart from a few changes in graphics (like the icon for settings or a few tiny changes to the drop-down menu from the main screen, for instance) .

It's the first time I'm actually using the forum here, although I've been an Xperia user and big fan since the t-68i, which I had in 2003, believe it or not (God... I'm old...).

I couldn't find a specific answer for the Sony versions of Oreo so, even if you could point me out to some article online that describes only the new features of Sony's Oreo for the Xa1-ultra, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you kindly in advance, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Commissioner
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Android 8.0 oreo upgrade for Xperia Xa1-ultra - what's new?

I'd be happy to fill you in on what I know. I'm still waiting for my Oreo update on my Xperia XA1 Ultra, I'm expecting it because I'm having a camera issue on Nougat. I'm now using an XZ Premium which has Oreo and I've played with the XA2 Ultra which has Oreo. So I have some idea of what changes will happen and a few visual screenshots.

The bottom three icons will change. The coding has made them stay in place if you play with your dpi settings.

Settings, they took out the categories and streamlined the settings.

Nougat:Screenshot_20180404-040524.png

Oreo:

Screenshot_20180404-040511.png

They took out the Headphone Accessory Settings to Auto Identify. Which makes more sense. Than have a pictorial list of outdated headphones you don't have.

Nougat:

Screenshot_20180404-040039.png

Oreo:

Screenshot_20180404-040051.png

They expanded Xperia Actions; Nougat has 3, to Oreo with 5. Adding commute and optimizing Gaming settings. They took out 'Blue Light' / "Night Light" in "Good Night Mode" (which is to prevent eye strain and insomnia) checkbox option out of Oreo though... Supposedly it's going to be placed in screen settings, see the picture of the Xperia XZ2 below.

Screenshot_20180404-041943.png

Screenshot_20180404-041807.png

Oreo:

Screenshot_20180404-043505.png

"Night Light" in "Good Night Mode." I haven't yet found this setting on the Xperia XZ Premium yet.
CaptureNightLight.PNG

They fixed: Both when receiving a call on Hangouts or Regular Calls, are prioritized to the top and not buried between notifications.

Nougat:

gplus1768360251.png

Oreo:

sketch-1522835185518.png

Lastly, the Xperia Music in Notification in Oreo, the whole notification changes color close to whatever the Album cover is.

I have one main gripe that they did not add back the LTE quick icon back when Xperia Z5 Premium times.

Marshmellow:

NougatLTE (1).PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Commissioner
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

I'd be happy to fill you in on what I know. I'm still waiting for my Oreo update on my Xperia XA1 Ultra, I'm expecting it because I'm having a camera issue on Nougat. I'm now using an XZ Premium which has Oreo and I've played with the XA2 Ultra which has Oreo. So I have some idea of what changes will happen and a few visual screenshots.

The bottom three icons will change. The coding has made them stay in place if you play with your dpi settings.

Settings, they took out the categories and streamlined the settings.

Nougat:Screenshot_20180404-040524.png

Oreo:

Screenshot_20180404-040511.png

They took out the Headphone Accessory Settings to Auto Identify. Which makes more sense. Than have a pictorial list of outdated headphones you don't have.

Nougat:

Screenshot_20180404-040039.png

Oreo:

Screenshot_20180404-040051.png

They expanded Xperia Actions; Nougat has 3, to Oreo with 5. Adding commute and optimizing Gaming settings. They took out 'Blue Light' / "Night Light" in "Good Night Mode" (which is to prevent eye strain and insomnia) checkbox option out of Oreo though... Supposedly it's going to be placed in screen settings, see the picture of the Xperia XZ2 below.

Screenshot_20180404-041943.png

Screenshot_20180404-041807.png

Oreo:

Screenshot_20180404-043505.png

"Night Light" in "Good Night Mode." I haven't yet found this setting on the Xperia XZ Premium yet.
CaptureNightLight.PNG

They fixed: Both when receiving a call on Hangouts or Regular Calls, are prioritized to the top and not buried between notifications.

Nougat:

gplus1768360251.png

Oreo:

sketch-1522835185518.png

Lastly, the Xperia Music in Notification in Oreo, the whole notification changes color close to whatever the Album cover is.

I have one main gripe that they did not add back the LTE quick icon back when Xperia Z5 Premium times.

Marshmellow:

NougatLTE (1).PNG

View solution in original post

Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

I got the upgrade to oreo already. Thank you ao much for your thorough reply. That's exactly what I was looking for. 

Just a final question: where can I find the Xperia Actions?

Cheers, and thank you, once again. 

Commissioner
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@Fstoffelwrote:

I got the upgrade to oreo already. Thank you ao much for your thorough reply. That's exactly what I was looking for. 

Just a final question: where can I find the Xperia Actions?

Cheers, and thank you, once again. 

Drop down menu > Gear Settings > (very bottom) Xperia Assist > Xperia Actions

Enjoy! 

Adviser
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Did it solve the famous WiFi and Bluetooth connetion issue?

Commissioner
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

@Petabyteswrote:

Did it solve the famous WiFi and Bluetooth connetion issue?

I never had a Wifi issue, but I did notice and was impressed by the redesign of the Wifi UI earlier today.

Bluetooth, The only issue I had was sometimes it wouldn't read Bluetooth devices, but a restart usually solves that.