account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Few small but effective changes that need to happen

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Few small but effective changes that need to happen

I've been using the XA1 Plus for about 2/ 3 weeks now and I'm quite surprised to how much of the little things my phone is missing out on, that makes a phone much better to use, especially because the phone was released in October 2017. I used to own a Lumia 730 before this phone and even though all the bad stuff that people say about Windows phone, a miss the features it had which android is adding as of now, my problem being that this new phone lacks those features. Please add these features/ changes :

1. Vibrate on call connect. Many older android phones have it. Even windows phones have an option to enable/ disable it.

2. Manual camera interface. The interface is clean but still it could've been better. The ISO setting for example is not in the toggle options but instead in the settings menu. Also, if ISO is set to manual, the shutter speed reverts to auto and vice versa, I don't understand why, especially because I'm coming from Lumia which had no such issue, and the camera interface, though a bit slow and glitchy, was intuitive and easy to use.

3. Software updates page. The software updates page shows updates for apps I don't have. For example, while I was checking if Oreo update was available or not, it was showing me an update for the Amazon prime video app while I don't have any amazon apps on my phone. Weird.

4. System UI/ Launcher modifications. There are a very few. Can't do much about it other than installing 3rd party launchers. The Xperia home launcher isn't bad at all, but without proper customisations, it isn't too good to use, especially all apps menu.

5. Light up display when receiving new notificaions toggle. Sometimes I prefer that my display light up when I get a new notification rather than just the LED light blinking.I'm not sure that if this feature is not included or I can't simply find it. Either way it can be improved. I don't have to always pick up the phone or even touch it when I receive a notification to check it out or read it. It is a useful feature when I'm in a situation where I can't or don't want to pick up the phone, for example,when I'm in the class and the phone is kept infront of me or maybe for someone in a meeting.

6. A suggestions/ bug fixs/ community/ new features/ assist all in one app. Rather than having What's new/ Assist apps, make a Sony community app which combine both plus a forum where people can suggest changes or post about their problems rather than having to visit the site. It was a great feature which I used to have in my Lumia which I genuinely loved. Small but efficient.

7. A file manager. It's very small issue but an issue nontheless. It comes down to choice. Either include a file manager as a bloatware or don't include bloatwares and let us choose what apps to use.

These are small change but I think they do a make a bit of an impact on the daily experience of the phone. Maybe some of these issues will be fixed in the coming Oreo update but it was kind of disappointing that a phone this new doesn't already have a few of the above mentioned features.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Few small but effective changes that need to happen

Hi, let's see if we can answer some of these questions.

1. I don't know why vibrate on call connect isn't a feature, but I don't recall any Xperia using it, nor any android I've used in a while.

2. I think you kinda answered that yourself.. "I'm coming from Lumia which had no such issue, and the camera interface, though a bit slow and glitchy, was intuitive and easy to use."

the idea is that they get these features working as fluid and as user friendly as possible, if you include too many things that will eventually lead to user frustration due to lag or glitching, it wouldn't be welcomed.

3. I believe the Amazon video is in there as a direct option for users to download without having to download the separate Amazon app store app. 

4. That's the beauty of android no? Xperia hi has always been light, but the option of customisation is one that is always open and unique to the user.

5. Lots of people requesting this option, hopefully Sony can implement something like this in the future, for now they depend on the led.

6. Great idea, you should forward it to your Local support 

7. Android itself includes a file manager, simply go to settings, storage and then tap on the percentage disk. Then choose which storage you want to explore.

For direct access to an app, there are some great 3rd party ones out there.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Rookie
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the reply.
1. It is there and it isn't that uncommon. Motorola, HTC, Samsung, Asus (Older Zenfones, don't know about new ones), Oneplus etc. have this feature intergated into the dialer software of their phones.
2. I'm sorry, I might have skipped some information. While running windows 8/8.1 the interface wasn't glitchy at all and still had all the bells and whistles (it was NOKIA CAMERA app then). It was after I updated it to windows 10 that the interface became glitchy while not improving anything at all (now replaced by MICROSOFT CAMERA app). If you get a chance then use the NOKIA CAMERA on any older lumia running windows 8/8.1,I'm sure you'll understand.

3. Okay.
4. I'll agree to that, I didn't think about it that way. Xperia Home is light and I haven't come across any glitches, so yeah why not.

5. I hope so too.

6. I might but first I wanted some ideas and directions, didn't want to complain without knowing some things. I'm new to sony's ecosystem and there are always people out there with great suggestions and ideas. I posted this hoping I would come across such people and their ideas.

7. That I didn't know. Thank you for telling me that. Yet I'm not completely satisfied by that answer. I just think that if Sony can include a movie creator then it could also include a file manager as a bloatware or not include bloatwares other than the bare essentials.

Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

True story, for years they included file commander with all Xperia, so, so many people complained it was bloat, I guess that when Google implemented a native one it was the right time to not include one as many users had wanted. Myself, it's the first thing I install so I understand your needs more, but i also understand that it's easier to remove it with Google native support, as users can again get one within seconds from Google play.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.