account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xperia XA: massive battery drain

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 918
Message 1 of 918

xperia XA: massive battery drain

Hi Community,

I recently purchased an xperia XA phone. Unfortunately I faced massive battery drains from day 1.

Steps taken prior to using the phone

• charge the battery
  • connect the phone to Wi-Fi
  • download the latest software-updates

Setting up the phone

• insert SIM & SD
  • transfer data and settings from previous phone (xperia M2)
  • restore apps and data from the cloud
  • download the latest app-updates

Observations

• cell is completely charged, not used for an hour -> battery drops from 100% to ~85%
  • battery above 85%, cell is not used for multiple hours during work -> battery drops to ~60%
  • according to the battery monitor main consumption by display and Wi-Fi

At the end of the day the battery never lasts for at least a normal day. I have not changed my use of the phone, i.e. Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Email within the parameters as before. I am aware that the battery of the XA is slightly smaller than the one of the M2.

I have reset the phone back to factory settings already twice without joy. Any suggestions? Help smile happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 619 of 918
Message 619 of 918

Re: xperia XA: massive battery drain

As some of you have already noticed, we have started rolling out a new software update for Xperia XA and Xperia XA Dual that improves the battery performance. The version number is 33.2.A.3.81 for XA and 33.2.B.3.81 for XA Dual.

In case your phone uses more battery than expected, please try to update your phone to this version using Xperia Companion or from Settings -> About phone -> Software update.

Some of the improvements in this update are:

• General performance and stability improvements.
  • Battery performance improvements.
  • Improved performance when moving apps to the SD card.

Note that software rollouts are a phased process – timings & availability may vary by market / carrier.

To further reduce battery usage the following tips can help:

• Update your Xperia™ device to a new software version using FOTA or Xperia™ Companion.
  • Turn off Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi® when you don't need these features. You can turn them on and off more easily by adding the Quick settings widget to your Home screen.
  • Uninstall and disable applications that you are not using.
  • Disable Wi-Fi® scanning.
  • Remove all widgets in Home screen that you are not using.
  • Adjust the Brightness level in the Display settings menu.
  • Set the Sleep in the Display settings menu.
  • Enable the Smart backlight control in the Display settings menu.
  • Enable the Adaptive brightness in the Display settings menu.
  • Disable the Image enhancement in the Display settings menu. 
  • Use the STAMINA mode, Battery optimisation and whitelist applications that should be allowed to send or receive background data traffic. 
  • Disable Keep Wi-Fi® on during sleep
  • Disable Email push of emails for all accounts.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

917 REPLIES
Emperor
Message 2 of 918
Message 2 of 918

@mvolkmann

You could download a battery monitor to see what's draining the battery 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 918
Message 3 of 918

I'm sorry to hear that sad

You may notice that the battery is drained in standby mode if you turn on Wi-Fi. This is due to a software error that prevents your device from entering sleep mode. This issue will be fixed in an upcoming software release, rolled out via FOTA and Xperia Companion. As a workaround, first turn off Wi-Fi, then turn off Wi-Fi scanning. Once the Wi-Fi scanning has been turned off, turn Wi-Fi back on. The recommendation is to keep Wi-Fi scanning off until you have installed the updated software version, to prevent this issue from occurring every time you restart your device.

Note! Software updates are released at different times depending on operator and/or country.

Affected Xperia™ devices and software versions:

• Xperia™ XA F31 (F3111, F3112, F3113, F3115, F3116): 33.2.A.2.16 and 33.2.B.2.35
  • Xperia™ E5 F33 (F3311, F3313): 37.0.A.1.83 and 37.0.A.1.105

Note! This is only valid for devices with a limited type of software configuration.

To turn off Wi-Fi scanning:

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap Settings > Location.
  3. Tap the menu button (three vertical dots), then tap Scanning.
  4. Drag the slider beside Wi-Fi scanning to the left.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 4 of 918
Message 4 of 918

Hello there!

I have the same problem with my phone. I made the setings that you're talking about and everything seems to be a little better, but not that better.

Last night I had 55% battery, and I closed my internet, I do not use wi fi, and I activated "do not disturb" option. This morning I had 47% battery after 5-6 hours doing absolutely nothing! The battery is consumed automatically doing nothing.

It is a chance to wait for an update soon?

Thank you!

Regular
Message 5 of 918
Message 5 of 918

Hello,

Hope Battery drain issue with XA is fixed asap. I have recommended Xperia XA to my friends because of its looks and battery experience with my old sweet Xperia Z3 compact.

Please fix it soon.

Thanks,

Vinu

Regular
Message 6 of 918
Message 6 of 918

Ok, this evening I notice another odd thing. 

I had aprox 13% battery, and I put my phone to charge. I really don't know exactly how much time it was spend, but I think in one hour and 45 minutes, the battery was fully charged. 

The first two charges that I had made, was much more long, some to three hours I think. 

It's that normal? I don't realy know and I don't do anything special. 

After I had my chargind, I had recieved a message reguarding a new soft update. I made the update, was something little, a few seconds. This is the update that we speak about? Does anyone can tell me?

Thanks! 

One time poster
Message 7 of 918
Message 7 of 918

Why Sony don't recognize problem with battery in XPERIA XA Series?

In Russia we have this problem too!

One time poster
Message 8 of 918
Message 8 of 918

I've got the same issues. Wifi and screen are the biggest battery consumers. Signing in and typing this reply actually cost me 3% battery...
Message 9 of 918
Message 9 of 918

@Rickard

The workaround doesn't make any real difference for me. Battery is still running out before the end of the day using the phone sparringly.

Fingers crossed the software update will lead to the promised 2 days... or even 1 and a bit will be ok...

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 918
Message 10 of 918

I think it is normal that after about six hours the phone loses 6% of battery. However, the phone is switched on and certainly consumes power even in small processes. It is no different on other phones of other brands. I speak from personal experience.