account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

xperia XA: massive battery drain

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 821 of 921
Message 821 of 921

Re: xperia XA: massive battery drain

Hi,

now I am using XA dual (F3112) for 4 months and cannot say its battery is somehow bad. Maybe better to say it is an average. 4G+wifi is always on, the same is for email, calendar sync, GPS, however I do not use gmail & hangouts & FB apps, some "useless" apps with high data usage have disabled background data. Most of the time the battery works for 36+ hours with 1-2 hours screen on daily. Some time after upgrade to 33.2.B.3.81 it was worser - but I have not discovered the reason. Just it was seen that system battery report does not count all usage - e.g. 80% discharged, but sum of % of all apps are <30% (8+5+4+2 and few more below 2% cannot give 100% !?)

Screenshot_20161210-182231.png

Then I have installed the Accubattery app - and this gives some more real usage numbers instead of our guesses. And in developer mode I have disabled all background apps (they still work, but they are killed soon).

The battery "health" now shows 85% (capacity drops quite soon?), the counted battery usage varies from 1-2%/hour with display off (e.g. music player uses more) and 13-20%/hour with display on (where is the difference I do not know). This then gives the full battery times 5-7 hours with screen on and 40-70 hours with screen off - and for me (and my usage) this is not bad :-)

Screenshot_20161219-220112.png

Screenshot_20170104-224134.png

The maximum I have seen is standby more than 48h - but with low display usage.

Screenshot_20161015-083510.png

Anyway it looks the recent Androids live their own lives, there is a lot of apps running in background, using battery and data and one cannot rely whether the battery will last one day or two :-(

Learner
Message 822 of 921
Message 822 of 921

I have that problem with battery, I disabled the smart cleaner as you said, I lost 2% in five minutes idle phone, It doesn't work I think :/

Learner
Message 823 of 921
Message 823 of 921

I have stopped using the device as its constant standby battery life is very bad... I think I've narrowed it down to signal strength and mobile data... I put another sim from same carrier in and left it with no WiFi or mobile data turned on and virtually no battery drain... Maybe the radios aren't so strong in the device
Regular
Message 824 of 921
Message 824 of 921

switch of scan for wifi aren't fix any thing for me 

my phone with remove sim fully charged turn off wifi lock screen

can't stand by for a whole day 

Regular
Message 825 of 921
Message 825 of 921

I thought the battery drain problem is a Android 6.0 BUG…hope Sony can fix this BUG by update in the future
And I found the battery percentages performance have BUG too!some % will drain within seconds…
Enthusiast
Message 826 of 921
Message 826 of 921

Re: xperia XA: massive battery drain and Screen protection quality.

Won't the nougat update be available by now? Another thing that dismays me is the screen durability compared to my former xperia L.. I accidentally dropped it on a soft wooden floor and it was slightly scratched but these are deep scratches that cant be removed. I always dropped my 2 year old xperia L and it hasnt shown a single scratch that is not removable. I can live with software issues (battery) but after my screen scratched easily this month, i'm convinced Sony just didn't decide to make this a good quality phone even compared to the reliable, sturdy xperia L.

4jh
Learner
Message 827 of 921
Message 827 of 921

I started using my first phone which was Nokia 6151 (3 years life) then I moved on to Samsung Monte (2 and half years life). 

When I got my first job I got myself Sony Experia E (1 year life) to use whats-app and fell in love with the camera but as it was running out of space I had to get another Sony product Sony Experia T3 (2 and half years life) but the Sony Experia XA Ultra has been the worst phone I have ever owned in terms of battery life. It dies in the standby mode and I have to use separate alarm clock as my mobile phone dies in matter of 1 hour if not charged. I normally miss calls and alarm in the morning as my phone dies.

Hilarious, right? that's what my work colleagues and friends tell me when my phone dies. Worst when traveling, the 3G/4G cell tower search drains the battery in 30 mins just like the guaranteed pizza delivery. I think it's not enough tip.

I have uninstalled unwanted apps.

I have tried testing by switching off WiFi, Mobile data and Bluetooth even if it affects my NFC enabled Sony Smart band SWR10. Hardly adds up to the phone battery life when social media apps like Facebook are running in the background.

I don't know what's wrong I am carrying my charger and Sony power bank everywhere so that I don't run out of battery.

Please fix this phone battery drain issue as soon as possible Sony but meanwhile I have taken some steps.

Update 1:
Switched to 'Battery Saving' mode for location and switched off scanning.
I have disabled Smart Cleaner as one of the Sony community member suggested.
Even clean master app is disabled. (Tried it month ago takes out annoying ads on home screen in locked screen mode.)

Update 2:
Went to settings - Wi-Fi - Pressed the three vertical dots on top right corner - settings - turn off 'Network notification' ( Notify whenever a public network is available)

Update 3:
Removed unnecessary shortcuts from the home tab.

Update 4: (Optional change)
Switched from Live wallpaper to solid wallpaper (Black)

*Update 5 (13th Jan, 2017):
Despite making the above changes I realized around 3AM to 6AM every night the phone makes some kind of systematic update which drains the battery enough to make the phone run out of battery.

I have switched off Google play store auto updates in the settings > Auto-update apps to "Do not auto-update apps". 

I also made sure App updates available notification is checked.

The battery usage meter shows Cell standby as the maximum battery consumer in use since last charged.

Learner
Message 828 of 921
Message 828 of 921

THIS IS THE SOLUTION!
Settings -- wifi--- advanced--- keep wifi on runing sleep-- NEVER.

I just lost 4% in all night (9hrs in standby without Stamina modes)
4jh
Learner
Message 829 of 921
Message 829 of 921

@Karen88 wrote:
THIS IS THE SOLUTION!
Settings -- wifi--- advanced--- keep wifi on runing sleep-- NEVER.

I just lost 4% in all night (9hrs in standby without Stamina modes)

You are right. It does save battery but switching off Wifi during sleep is not a long term solution. My profession demands constant checking of messages from email and whatsapp.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 830 of 921
Message 830 of 921

Oh man what the.... Happened today, my battery was at 6% so placed it down to charge, went to walk out for about 10 minutes, returned only to see the battery at 65%.

Amazed, unplugged the phone

Started working for my project, screen on for most of the time (though that almost Is very less) + 3G on

And then In FRONT OF MY EYES STARTED THE BATTERY COUNTDOWN 65..60..58....stable for 2 mins...47...38..suddenly.. 10..9..6..3 all this while I reached my 'adjacent' room (I hope you understand the SEVERITY of the situation) plugged it

.. .. 2%...1...0% literally it was charging but at zero %.

Out of curiosity I removed the charger aaaannnd black out..

First time I would say I have bought a USELESS DUMB DELICATE UNINSPIRING UNRELIABLE FRAUD (no promises kept) PHONE FROM SONY.

Sony never stick to its promises, IT KNOWS ONLY TO ADVERTISE IN STYLE BUT IN REALITY THEIR PHONES ARE AWFUL.

I REGRET (I may tell you I am a Sony fan still but due to other products)