account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia XA Ultra Dual Sim- Call volume issue

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 49
Message 1 of 49

Xperia XA Ultra Dual Sim- Call volume issue

Hi,

I have a serious issue with my Xperia XA Ultra phone which is just 1 month old. My callers do not hear me speak, while I could hear them very well. I am very sure there are no network issues. Initially, my callers would say "my voice is feeble, can you speak louder", when I would be speaking at the top of my voice. I am very upset that my new phone and my trustworthy phone brand has given me this. When I use a head-set, I dont have any issues. Its very annoying to carry a headset everytime to manage even simple and short calls. I have checked all call volume settings in the phone and did everything I coud.. But my callers do not hear me at all, if I dont use a head-set. Can any one help me solve this issue?

48 REPLIES 48
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 49
Message 2 of 49

Re: Xperia XA Ultra Dual Sim- Call volume issue

Hi @Aishthom, I'm sorry to hear about that. Slightly frowning Face

There is a inbuilt test in the phone called Diagnostics which you can find under Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test.

If you test the microphone in here, are you able to hear your voice in the second part of the test where the recording is being played?

If you can't hear any sound at all when the recording is being played, I'd recommend that you reboot your phone in safe mode and that you do the test in here. Safe mode will disable all thirdparty applications to make sure one of them are not the cause of this, they will reset back to normal again if you just restart your phone as normal.

Let me know how it went!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 49
Message 3 of 49

I am facing exatcly the same issue,people calling me not able to hear me.also what i hear is voice breaks in between.when i restart my xperia xa ultra problem gets resolved. I have purchased this mobile in Nov 16.Sony please Help.Everytime I have to do restart my phone.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 49
Message 4 of 49

Hi @SK74,

I'm sorry to hear about your phone.

Does this happen in every call that you make or receive, until you reboot your phone?

After you have rebooted your phone, how long does it take before you experience the same behaviour again? Is it the call after the one that you did directly after rebooting your phone, or you can make more calls?

I would recommend that you test the microphone in the Diagnostics test after you notice that the counterpart can't hear you, by doing that we can see if it's related to the network or the microphone in the phone.

So make a call, if the counterpart can't hear you, go to Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Microphone.

Does the microphone work in the test? If it does, go back to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Preferred network type > GSM only > make a new call.

If it doesn't work in the test, try rebooting your phone in safe mode and make a few calls and see if the counterpart can hear you or not.

Let me know how it goes!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 5 of 49
Message 5 of 49

Hi,

Does this happen in every call that you make or receive, until you reboot your phone?

Answer=> YES

After you have rebooted your phone, how long does it take before you experience the same behaviour again?

Answer=>It takes hardly 1hour and the issue starts again.

Is it the call after the one that you did directly after rebooting your phone, or you can make more calls?
Answer=>after roboot everything works fine for few calls that I make or receive in 1hour and the issue starts again.

I would recommend that you test the microphone in the Diagnostics test after you notice that the counterpart can't hear you, by doing that we can see if it's related to the network or the microphone in the phone.

Answer=> I have done the diagnostic test for microphone as well as both the speakers.They works well

So make a call, if the counterpart can't hear you, go to Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Microphone.
Have done the same and no issues found.

Does the microphone work in the test? If it does, go back to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Preferred network type > GSM only > make a new call.

Answer => This is not the physible solution to change network type to GSM mode as I my both sims are 4G and required WCDMA and LTE.with the same netwrok settings, I dont find issue once I reboot 

If it doesn't work in the test, try rebooting your phone in safe mode and make a few calls and see if the counterpart can hear you or not.

Answer=> diagnostic test works fine.

This is so irritating and disappointing that I have restart my phone again & again when urgents call I have to make or receive.

I can proceed only when I reboot the phone.

This is my very first mobile of SONY Xperia,and this problem is disappointed me.

Looking for Immediate solution.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 49
Message 6 of 49

Thanks for the swift reply!

Since the microphone is working without any troubles, it does sound like it's related to the network and not the phone.

Do you have the setting to change to GSM only? If you do, please test that so we can see if there is any change.

If you don't, can you borrow a SIM card from a friend, colleague or family member and see if you experience the same behaviour? 1 SIM card is enough!

Keep me posted!

Learner
Message 7 of 49
Message 7 of 49

Hi, the network mode is set to GSM Only from which I make a call or receive the call.

Jonas if it could have been network issue why everything works fine once i restart the phone. your feedback is not convincing me.

One time poster
Message 8 of 49
Message 8 of 49

I have same experience with my clients.... I can hear them but they can't... This is started day one onward... Sony has to call back this model and replace our phones... This is purely their technical issues for which customers should not suffer... Take a positive step to settle this issue... Or we will take it very seriously... Please don't tell us your reboot story...
Learner
Message 9 of 49
Message 9 of 49

I have the same issue with my XA Ultra DS. I tryed everything: rebooting, hard reseting, reflashing by PC Companion. changing network mode. All useless 

Visitor
Message 10 of 49
Message 10 of 49

Hi Sony Support,

I am also facing the same issue with Sony xperia xa ultra , callers are not able to hear me where I can hear them properly.
Tried your above suggestions but no use.
Please let me know if it can be resolved or not ? if not I will for phone change.
Thank you