account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Can't switch out of Chinese keyboard

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Can't switch out of Chinese keyboard

The keyboard on my XA is the Chinese keyboard. Is this normal? It supports English, but I'd like to get rid of it if possible. However, when I go into Settings to change it to English, there's only the Chinese keyboard available, and that is greyed out. (Language is set to English.)

Is there no way of changing?

6 REPLIES 6
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can't switch out of Chinese keyboard

Hi @Cam-S,

When you go to Settings > Language & input > Current Keyboard, there should be an option for "More Keyboards". If you tap on that, you can enable and disable the various keyboards in the phone.

Does that help?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. When I go to 'More Keyboards', there is only the Chinese keyboard available, and that option is greyed out.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

That's very strange. Under Settings > Apps, see if you can find the Swiftkey keyboard and see if it is disabled.

If it's not there at all, you may need to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Rookie
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

hey, I know exactly what you're talking about. it appears as ' Xperia Chinese keyboard ', right? mine has the same. seems like you're not only the one. I don't think you can get rid of it.

in my case, I disabled ' SwiftKey keyboard ' by accident, so there was absolutely no way to type in English (because there was no English keyboard), unless I use Chinese keyboard at that time. since I'm not Chinese, I kinda freaked out. then, I simply got ' gboard ' from google. eventually, I realized that my ' SwiftKey keyboard ' was disabled, so I enabled it and I got the English keyboard back. phew.

I live in North America, so it's obviously my xperia xa is for North American market model. however, there's no ' Xperia English keyboard ' built-in. it doesn't make any sense at all. cearly, sony simply put ' SwiftKey keyboard ' on xperia xa for North American market model and didn't bother. interesting, huh?

Adviser
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for that. Yes, I had disabled SwiftKey by accident as well. I've now enabled it again.

The Chinese keyboard (in English mode) is actually better in some ways than Swiftkey!

(And once again a customer is of more use than Sony support.)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

@Cam-S,

But I said the same thing Slightly frowning Face 

@CameronT wrote:

That's very strange. Under Settings > Apps, see if you can find the Swiftkey keyboard and see if it is disabled.

I am glad you got it working though Slightly smiling Face 

@Neo2017, thank you. The Xperia Keyboard can still be sideloaded, just fyi Winking Face I can't help you with how though...