account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Bluetooth volume on incoming calls

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Bluetooth volume on incoming calls

Xperia XA bluetooth connection to car (Sony radio/Microsoft Sync) results in all incoming calls being inaudible as volume is set to minimum. Even turning the radion volume to full can't quite hear conversation. Bluetooth works fine on other phones (have tried Samsung/Xiaomi/Medion without problems). It just seems the Xperia XA doesn't quite connect correctly.  I imagine this would also effect the car's  Emergency Assist function as well which automatically calls emergency services in accident situations. So there could be some safety issues here as well. Has anyone else overcome this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adviser
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Re: Bluetooth volume on incoming calls

I had further contact from Sony Support, restored the phone and it seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks to the Sony Support staff for their prompt attention.

9 REPLIES 9
Commissioner
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Could be something to do with the car audio as through normal Bluetooth earphones/headset(sbh20) volume is more than adequate. Try installing the smart connect app from Sony you can set up what it does on connection automatically Inc the volume
Adviser
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

I tried Smart Connect as well as removing and re-matching the phone with the car using safe mode. Still the same problem. In fact with Smart Connect it lost connection every time a call ended and would not reconnect....it did not help the volume. I think this is just another symptom of the general issues Android 6 is having with bluetooth generally. It is all over the web.

For the time being I have disabled the emergency assist on the car and disabled bluetooth. I just hope the upgrade to 7 will address the wide issues 6 is having with BT.

Otherwise I think the phone is awsome. I have no troubles with battery (turned a lot of background stuff off and only light-medium call/message use with a bit of browsing)....less than 25% battery use per day. Those having battery issues may need to rethink what they actually expect from a phone.....it is NOT a PC.....personal opinion only.

PS the onus is also on Sony not to load the phones with battery bleeding apps that are turned on by default.

Adviser
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Was notified of new update 33.2.A.3.74 . Installed it (about 650Mb) but it made no difference to the Bluetooth volume on incoming calls. Even tried a fresh connection to car in safe mode. The problem remains.

Adviser
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Well I got a brush-off response from Sony support pointing me to some obscure "white paper" buried deeply in their site ( http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/f3111/whitepaper_EN_F3111_F3113_F3115_2.pdf ).

As a normal everyday consumer, I bought a phone that supposedly had "bluetooth" and my car has "bluetooth" that has worked will all other phones I have used in it. One could reasonably expect the new phone to work too....afterall the car is only 2 years old and hardly considered obsolete. Who would reasonably expect someone to go mining through a manufacturer's site for technical details that are unannounced as being changed from previous implementations of bluetooth???

Anyway how would I even know what implementation my car has (through a Sony radio and Microsoft Sync system). I could read the Sony "whitepaper" all day and it does NOT flag any potential issues.

To me it seems like they either did not properly test changes to bluetooth or they intentionally made change without publishing

the changes which could cause potential incompatibilities. In either case it reflects poorly on their respect for their customers.

It also seems strange that Sony is restricting its potential market for the A6 phones through introducing incompatibilities with the vast majority of existing bluetooth devices including the majority of bluetooth enabled cars...that is a huge market. Sure some are OK but many are not and, like with the Ford Emergency Assist, you won't know until real safety is threatened through incompatibilities which may not be evident until a serious accident situation is experienced and the phone connection becomes critical.

So, as far as I can see, don't hold your breaths waiting for a solution to Bluetooth issues. Mine is a minor issue and I have sympathies for those with more critical bluetooth issues. But unless we express our concerns, we will not get the consumer support we need.

Adviser
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

I had further contact from Sony Support, restored the phone and it seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks to the Sony Support staff for their prompt attention.

Rookie
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

No incoming sound via bluetooth

Have bluetooth stereo im my car previously worked perfect with a Moto G 2ng Gen & an Xperia Z - I have paired a new Xperia XA with it but whenever I answer or make a call I cannot hear the caller at the other end, they can however hear me. I have to switch to the phones built in speakerphone in order to hsve a conversstion ... Pretty crap!!!
Emperor
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Re: No incoming sound via bluetooth

Could you test it in >>> safe mode ?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Re: No incoming sound via bluetooth

Also make sure you have the volume turned up when connected via BT especially the phone volume via the switches on the side of the phone. A software repair sort of fixed my issue but the default volume for the BT connection was very low....simply adjusted the volume via the phone switches as well as the radio and all is well.

One time poster
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I have the same issue with my experia during calling not hearing to music by bloutooth headphon.