account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

new phone already encrypted

SOLVED
Message 11 of 17
Message 11 of 17

Re: new phone already encrypted

Unbranded phones are also encrypted.
It is not just locked models.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 12 of 17
Message 12 of 17

obviously on branded phones the encryption is still there even after reseting. what about the unbranded ones?

are they also encrypted  even after a reset?

Message 13 of 17
Message 13 of 17

@mekaniker@sgiesen78@ykphuah@viridis

This is the info we have:

All Xperia devices released with Android™ 6.0 (Marshmallow) and onward are encrypted by default since this was made mandatory by Google™.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

ok, accepted. But why is this not valid for the Z5 series e.g. ? They are delivered with "Android 6.0 onwards", too. Recently shipped Z5 series phones with Android 6.0.1 at T-Mobile are not encrypted by default.

Message 15 of 17
Message 15 of 17

@sgiesen78 It is valid for phones launched after the MM software update was launched.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Commissioner
Message 16 of 17
Message 16 of 17

@sgiesen78 wrote:

ok, accepted. But why is this not valid for the Z5 series e.g. ? They are delivered with "Android 6.0 onwards", too. Recently shipped Z5 series phones with Android 6.0.1 at T-Mobile are not encrypted by default.

Encryption slows down the device, unless you have the updated hardware. I think Sony/Google did the blanket decision that everything ships with 6.0 onwards have it encrypted by default, regardless of whether the hardware is there or not.

Just encrypt! I was worried about read performance on my previous M5, and did a benchmark, not much difference between unencrypted and encrypted. I assume Z5 will not have any difference as well.

Inhabitant
Message 17 of 17
Message 17 of 17

Hello, 

I ave a question about encryption. The first days of the phones usage (Xperia X) when rebooting or powering on I would be asked for the password before loading the OS, this is no longer happeing......is this normal?

In settings says encrypted but its greyd out.