account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

new phone already encrypted

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

new phone already encrypted

I just got my new Xperia X from Deutsche Telekom. Everything works fine but settings > lock screen & security > encryption shows Encrypted.

Does that make sense?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 13 of 17
Message 13 of 17

Re: new phone already encrypted

@mekaniker@sgiesen78@ykphuah@viridis

This is the info we have:

All Xperia devices released with Android™ 6.0 (Marshmallow) and onward are encrypted by default since this was made mandatory by Google™.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

16 REPLIES 16
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

did you check if there options to remove it? or maybe it is not higlighted. I would suggest to return it and maybe have a new device replacement, make sure to check the device before you leave the store

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Hi mekaniker,

Welcome to the community,

Have you added a work email address on the handset?

You can check the Device administrators to see what application is able to set encryption.

Menu > Settings >  Security > Device Admins

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

Yeah, mine comes encrypted as well. It is a good thing. Why you don't like it??

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

I can confirm that at least all Xperia X smartphones delivered by Deutsche Telekom are encrypted by default. Yep, it's a good thing. Consider encrypting your SD card as well !!!

Adviser
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

and if i reset my phone can i get rid of the encryption? 

wasn't the backup function dependent of encryption? meaning: when encrypted --> no backups possible? 

Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

@mekaniker XPC is able to backup encrypted memory if you set a password for the backup.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

i guess that's the same thing like "my xperia" backup right? 

Adviser
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

So, if the phones from Deutsche Telekom are encrypted by default, does that mean that a reset would NOT remove the encryption??

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

Encryption is great. You still can do everything, I mean connecting your phone to your Mac or PC, creating backups etc etc. There is no restriction on anything.

When you got a "branded phone" from T-Mobile, yes, the encryption is on by default and it will be after reset etc.

If you want to get rid of the T-Mobile stuff (the jingles and the start screen animation ;-) then download and install FlashTool and flash a standard european ROM for your Xperia X. No problem, it's not a trick, it's a Sony ;-)