account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Remains Black when Phone Rings

Highlighted
Regular
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Screen Remains Black when Phone Rings

After the February security updates, Whenever incoming call rings, my phone's screen remain black.
It doesn't show name or number of the caller.
I've to unlock the phone manually to see the incoming calls.. Plz help..
13 REPLIES
Genius
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Screen Remains Black when Phone Rings

Hello @YOGESH13,

I'm sorry to hear that. This is controlled by a sensor located at the top of your screen, if the sensor works as intended then the display will be disabled when covered during a call.

You can test this sensor outside of calls by going to: Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Ear proximity. How does the sensor behave in this test? Does the phone start vibrating directly when starting the test?

I would also recommend that you try and perform the same test with your phone rebooted to safe mode. This is to make sure that none of your downloaded apps are causing this behavior. 

Let me know how it goes!

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Well I've done the test, Ear proximity works well. Let us see..!
Regular
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Both in Normal n Safe Mode Ear Proximity sensor works well..
But still the screen remains off while phone rings...
Any help...?
Genius
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Hello again,

I see. Are you experiencing the same behaviour with the display turning black during calls with your phone rebooted to safe mode? If that is the case and the phone passes the Ear proximity test I would advise you to repair the software in your phone. That way we can rule out this being software related or not. This is done using a computer and our program Xperia Companion, available for both Windows and Mac.

Click the following link for instructions on how to repair the software: https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-perform-a-software-repair-with-Xperia-Companion/m-p/110305...

Note that this will reset the phone, you can create a backup directly in Xperia Companion using the Backup feature.

I would however advise that you try making and receiving a call before restoring a backup after the repair is complete.

Should you still experience this after a software repair, let me know!

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Well I've decided to submit the phone to the service centre to get it repaired...!
Genius
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

I see, I'm sorry it had to come to that but if a software repair didn't help with getting this resolved my guess is that this is related to hardware rather than software.

Keep me updated!

Regular
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Well, I still haven't submitted my phone to service centre. But as u said, If really It had a hardware issue, will it be repaired...?
My phone is still under warranty period.
Plz let me know..
Thanks..
Genius
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

The service centres will first have to examine your device before they can determine what components need to be replaced/repaired.

However, I'm not sure about how the warranty and service procedures work in the market you are based in. I would advise you to contact either your local support team, your retailer or the service centre directly for more information about this.

One time poster
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

this is a bug in the Feb release. I have this same porblem. before I updated my phone the sleep mode phone notifications worked. After I installed the Feb update this stopped working. I did a factory reset and same issue. So clearly this is a sony bug for Xperia X with the Feb release.