account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

xperia x compact disappointment

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 11 of 24
Message 11 of 24

Re: xperia x compact disappointment

I played a bit with XC. Camera is indeed improved. Phone itself feels just right as it should be done from the very beginning.

Given the higher initial price and poor service experience I think it is overpriced and stripped down from features.

1. 4K recording - I don't need 4K for resolution itself. It didn't match expectations anyway. I used it for wide format video and downscaled to 1080p

2. SD 820 - I could live without but it was a signature of Compact series. CPU from the top unit.

3. 720p screen is fine. It is more than enough for that screen size but gives additional performance boost

4. Waterproof - this is the biggest lost. I think it was finally done right on bulky Z5C, now lost...

Combining It all together XC lost all of its benefits over manufacturers Slightly frowning Face

For me only great interface experience, dedicated camera button and noise cancelling feature (tell me it is still present) are left...

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
Adept
Message 12 of 24
Message 12 of 24

I for one want this phone when released in the US. I'll be going to try and check it out. My only dislike is I wished that they would have gone one step further and went ahead with a 1080p screen resolution. My Experia X has 1080p and I can definitely confirm at least on the 5 inch XA model I started with and ended up with the next model up which is the X, that I could see a noticeable difference in resolution and clarity. I love my X and the 650 processor is plenty fast so no worries there. Maybe the 720 will be okay for the 4.6 but still at the least it should have been 1080p. Sony isn't common I've found here in the US with carriers so I had to get cricket service and get my X unlocked. Unfortunately, cricket does not support the Sony phones hot spot. That being said, coming from a long time apple user only that I have been super stoked over my X. The phone is awesome. The XA was even pretty good for what it offered but there just no comparison between the XA and X. I imagine the X compact will be a smaller version of the X but with a 720 resolution.
Message 13 of 24
Message 13 of 24

720p screen will be absolutely fine on 4.6" it's very much a similar density to 1080 on a 5.1

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 24
Message 14 of 24

That's why you need to check all the specs and reviews before buying a phone.

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 24
Message 15 of 24

The X Compact really isn't so much of a disappointment if you simply take it as what the name implies:

It's the compact version of the Xperia X, not of the Xperia XZ!

It was only the press that speculated in this wrong direction and made us hope for HD and the SD820.

With that in mind Sony has'nt left its philosophy of the compact version having (almost) the same spec as the big phone.

I admit that at first I had been disappointed as well on September 1st, but now that I own the X Compact (my Z3c died these days so I needed a replacement) I have to say I'm quite impressed. The X Compact reacts noticeably faster than the Z3c and I found at least two things not mentioned even in the white paper:

1. Unlike Z3c and Z5c no FM radio is mentioned - but the X Compact definitely has one!

2. It seems the X Compact is waterproof though! When I do the test with the pressure sensor (pressing the front and back of the phone) the pressure goes up like with the Z3c, so the phone is some kind of air tight which implies it is waterproof as well.

In addition, if you look at amazon (UK) you find a very interesting line here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-Compact-4-6-Inch-Smart/dp/B01L96ZFO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147...

[edit: I changed the quote to a link here for possible legal reasons.]

Scroll down a bit, you'll find the interesting line just ahead of the section "Customer Questions ...".

The same line (in German) can be found on the German Amazon website and I guess in other languages as well, so it seems not to be a typing error ...

I guess Sony just did not IP certify the X Compact and refrained from marketing this feature to avoid the related complaints that came up with the previous phones advertised as waterproof.

Message 16 of 24
Message 16 of 24

I'll get some clarification on this before amazon cause problems for users with that quote lol.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Message 17 of 24
Message 17 of 24

Hi, the info provided by Amazon is not correct.
X Compact does not have IP65/68 rating and should never be treated as such.

Enthusiast
Message 18 of 24
Message 18 of 24

Anyway, I'm not going to test this on my new phone ... :smileysmileywink:

Enthusiast
Message 19 of 24
Message 19 of 24

This link is about the Xperia X only :

http://www.sonyrumors.net/2016/06/21/the-sony-xperia-x-might-be-waterproof-after-all/

But the X Compact is just its little brother ... and my test with the pressure sensor also points in this direction. Smiling Face with Horns

Not having an IP65/68 certification does not necessarily mean that there isn't some kind of water resistance. But without certification of course you cannot make Sony liable for any water damage.

Message 20 of 24
Message 20 of 24

My X passes the pressure test like you see, but I know it's not waterproof.
Easiest proof is the sim port, it has no rubber seals and will let water in if pressure needed.