account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

SwiftKey keyboard replaceable with a normal one???

One time poster
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

SwiftKey keyboard replaceable with a normal one???

I'm going crazy with this SwiftKey keyboard!!! It's like it has it's own life doing totally crazy combinations that I did not even touch! I cannot write even one sentence without correcting several times! Before I throw this phone out the next window, please let me know how I can replace this  by a normal keyboard!!! Thank you!!!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: SwiftKey keyboard replaceable with a normal one???

@Annika79

download a different keyboard from the playstore

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Was SwiftKey bundled?
//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

I just enabled it and had a look in the app store... I'm so mad... I paid for SwiftKey... Now it's free

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Talent
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

I still wish Sony would bring back "Xperia Keyboard" (the last version with the coloured skins)

This was by far the best keyboard app I've used in 7 years of using Android phones.

Oddly enough, I am sure that when I first got my Xperia X Compact in November and started it up, that it had the Sony Xperia keyboard and not SwiftKey, but then I had to return the phone and get a replacement a couple of days later and this time around it had SwiftKey.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Yeah, you can replace any keyboard.

Swype is bugged on Nougat at the moment.

The rest have tSmiling Face with Heart-eyesDrooling Facemany emGrinning Face with smiling EyesticSmiling Face with Sunglassesns for me tSmiling Face with Horns care.

I have an ANSI keyboard too

Edit: swype is working now

Genius
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

SwiftKey is my favorite keyboard ever, I paid for it.. Now it's free.. Xperia Keyboard was based on SwiftKey. You may want to try gBoard (Google Keyboard).

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Adviser
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

SwiftKey is pretty annoying... there should be a global switch to make it just a plain old keyboard, without any extra features like autocorrect, word prediction, etc. etc.

BUT, I was able to turn almost all of the other features off by going through all settings.... the only thing that annoys me is the fact that the language/dictionary bar does not go away... it stays above the keyboard and states "no languages selected" as if I did not know that.

This is a waste of space and this should be fixed. Maybe a SONY affiliate can forward this to relevant people from these boards. I have also provided this to SwiftKey via. their feedback methods.

Providing advanced options to users is always a good thing, but leaving users without the possibility to choose a regular tool is just absurd.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bringing users more features should not mean leaving users without a chance to opt out of those features. No offline calendar nor a sound recorder out of the box? Why?
One time poster
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

The xz1 seems to be my 1st phone where I can't replace the keyboard - downloaded the one I want, but the only options I get in the settings are:

Active - new keyboard & SwiftKey - takes SwiftKey then

Or

Active - new KB and Japanese Xperia KB, takes the Japanese then

Didn't download any of that and can't uninstall...

Commissioner
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I have also experienced transient difficulties when I first switch from Swiftkey to another keyboard. You might have to select the KB you want a couple of times before it "sticks". You can also disable any KBs you are not using:

Settings-apps&notifications-app info (show system selected from menu in upper right corner). You can disable or uninstall Japanese keyboard layout (and any other unused keyboard layout) if you don't need it. Reboot.