account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Memory card 200GB and up in size = can't record video (Unknown error).

Adviser
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Memory card 200GB and up in size = can't record video (Unknown error).

Today I received a 200GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSDXC and upon trying to get it to work I encountered an issue with video recording.

I cannot record video at ANY setting (quality) with the memory card as the saving location. It's as if it starts recording and the time stays at 0, it freezes for a bit and then displays "unknown error".
I tested the memory card in a Z5 Compact and it worked no problem, meaning it's an issue of the X Compact.

Upon researching this issue on Google, I ended up on the Xperia X forums (and these forums in general), where there is a thread there about the issue (https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-X/200GB-Micro-SD-Card-not-allowing-video-Unknown-Error/td-p/11...). It seems to be an issue on ALL X series phones, including the XZ series. My last post in the (previously linked) thread got the attention of @Cristofer, a CSR of SONY, which is good and gives me hope that this issue could be cleared in the near future, but I decided to start a thread on this forum also (I went through the whole subforum of X Compact before posting).

I am currently in the process of returning my memory card, which I do not want to do, but I have no other option, since I do not know if and when this issue will be fixed Slightly frowning Face

If a CSR could confirm that this issue will be fixed in the near future and is of upmost importance, I would keep the memory card. It's probably not too hard to fix and is a software bug.

EDIT: There is a thread in the general forums that claims that the problem appeared upon updating to Android 7: https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Camera/Video-function-doesn-t-work-since-new-update/td-p/1185188 (XZ user) and another thread of the same issue in the XZs forums https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZs/Can-t-record-videos-using-200GB-and-bigger-SD-card/m-p/121....

EDIT2: Since the same CSR claimed 3 weeks ago that this issue has been forwarded to relevant people and it's being worked on... I have no reason to believe it will be fixed in the near future and will return the memory card Slightly frowning Face
I hope SONY is really working to fix this issue and will get back at us with a solution in the near future or if it's not possible to fix the issue, it would be nice of them to tell us that, so we could start looking for 128GB cards, which work 100%. :/

EDIT3: Two more threads:
1) https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Camera/not-possible-to-make-a-video-with-Xperia-X-Performance-Android...
2) https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-X/What-memory-card-can-I-use/m-p/1210924

The issue was first reported "2016-12-13 04:43 PM", which means this issue is FIVE MONTHS old and has not even been addressed properly.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bringing users more features should not mean leaving users without a chance to opt out of those features. No offline calendar nor a sound recorder out of the box? Why?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Memory card 200GB and up in size = can't record video (Unknown error).

And yet.... Still not one user has answered the question...

What file system are you formatting the card with?

FAT32 or other.

Some of the topics you're spamming your link to this thread into are a year old and users haven't returned, other posts are not as old, but again don't come back to clarify the very important question about file system.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

If you actually read those topics, you would see that the question has been answered.
I will copy here the relevant parts of posts:

1) "I've just tried reformatting the card as exFAT via my laptop and still same problem...

I also tried to erase & format via the mobile itself, but this didn't sort the problem out either."

I'm not able to access this topic: https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Camera/not-possible-to-make-a-video-with-Xperia-X-Performance-Android..., the forums display an error: "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.".

Judging by the URL it redirects me to (https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Awaiting-action/Spam-Cross-posts-4/m-p/1224017) & the fact that the topic isn't displayed on the forums anymore, I'd say that someone (probably you?) reported my post and the topic as spam, which is really moronic, since it's not spam - I'm simply highlighting this issue due to it being a real problem that has been appearing for five months already and SONY has not fixed it. It is reasonable to post a short explanation and link to this thread for people (and SONY) to understand the scope and reality of this issue. We're talking about the latest models and even flagships. This ought to be fixed ASAP, but it's been 5 months already to no avail.

Other topics did not include a question regarding the file system of the memory card (I can't verify this for the topic that's not available to view), so as you can see - the question has been asked ONCE in those topics and it has been answered and the issue has not been fixed for five months already. The fact that the topics are old without a solution speaks volumes about the service SONY is providing, nothing else Winking Face.

As for my case: the (brand new) SD card was formatted on the phone (so it should be formatted as the phone needs it to be formatted) and I popped it into my laptop to see it was exFAT.

It worked in a Z5C so it is an issue with the X series.

So, maybe the support on these forums can do their job and escalate this case to upper levels so it can finally be fixed?
There are not many 200GB (and larger) memory cards out there. I doubt SONY cannot get all of them in a room with the X series' phones to see if they work or not. Infact it would probably be enough to get ONE card and try to record video on it in an X series phone with the latest updates installed.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bringing users more features should not mean leaving users without a chance to opt out of those features. No offline calendar nor a sound recorder out of the box? Why?
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@allure

I know such issues can be frustrating, but it has been already escalated by an official Sony Customer Support staff, @Christofer. Usually, an escalation decision is taken when the issue is reported by a number of users, and those 200GB SD cards are not so common (plus to overlap with X series users) so maybe that's why not enough reports have been noticed.

Now it's time to chill, maybe read a little bit more of the forum's guidelines. If you have a problem with one of your posts being removed, you can always PM a moderator about it.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Adviser
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

When was the case escalated?  5 months ago, in the meantime or just now?
What has happened to the case since then? Has the issue been even reproduced by SONY on their newest phones with all the newest updates? It would be really easy to do that, I don't see why it hasn't been done in 5 months. And if it has been, there should be a notification that SONY acknowledges this bug and an explanation how this affects phones, along with a "we're working on it".

200GB (and up) SD cards are not so common, but I doubt SONY would have trouble getting their hands on one to test them out. I ordered mine on Saturday and received it on Tuesday. It cost me 80€. Not a problem.

I do not see how this issue would not be taken seriously since it involves the newest series AND flagships. The only way this could happen is if the CSR's on these forums are not taking the issue seriously (maybe disregarding it as the fault of the user/memory card, not the fault of the device/software).

I  am chill, I am sending my memory card back. It's a nuisance, but not a life and death situation, so I'm ok. If the forum's guidelines do not allow for actions like I've taken (mapping the issue, gathering all info in one place and providing a link to that location in all relevant places), maybe it's time to look at the rules? I don't see why this would not be allowed. I have nothing to gain by posting the link to all threads, other than SONY finding a solution. Slightly smiling Face

As for PM'ing a moderator. Vidris is a moderator and I have since replied to his PM also, asking him to escalate this matter further up, since I find his judgement errorneous and a hindrance to finding a solution to the problem Slightly smiling Face

EDIT: Instead of trying to (unreasonably) fight me, use the info that I've provided and head towards a solution.

Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

@allure

When I said those cards are not common, I didn't mean that Sony can't get their hands on them. I meant, statistically, it will not be so common to find users with a combination of Xperia X series phone plus a 200GB SD card who tried recording video and noticed the problem, then reported the issue and provided all the data needed, then actually followed up with their issue on the forum. Got my point?

No one is fighting you, you have all the right to report your issue and get the proper attention to it. The issue now is escalated and, hopefully, we'll hear back from Sony's Support Staff about the feedback soon.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Adviser
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

You can state that, but you should think further. If the issue has been touched in one topic, it should be solved by troubleshooting and if not fixed, reproduced by SONY to see if it's a real issue. Then it should be fixed. Why does it have to take multiple topics and someone like me to get the case escalated? What is the point of posting the issue in the forums if users get no support?

The fact that there are not many people using newest phones with 200GB (and up) cards AND reporting the issue means nothing. The fact that there are numerous people ending up reporting the issue in these forums speaks volumes, as people usually just disregard the issue and move on (To a smaller memory card, maybe? After wasting time trying out all larger ones, maybe?).

It would not be odd to see people using newest phones and specially ones using the newest phones with 4K video availability wanting to use a large or the largest memory card along with it. And if they do that, they probably use the video recording feature aswell. So this is a real issue. The fact that people are not reporting the issue does not matter - most people do not bother reporting issues and if/when people want to report the issue, they usually report it to the people that sold them the phone and/or memory card, meaning the issue does not get reported to SONY.

By coming to SONY support forums, people are hoping for a quick acknowledgement and in-depth investigation to the issue and upon clarifying the issue, a swift solution.

This has not been the case.

You can also read my other posts on these forums to see how SONY representatives have been wrong in other items aswell. One of my "cross-posting" posts you removed involved informing a member about the fact that memory cards 200GB and above probably will not work in his/her device... my comment came after a SONY rep. told the customer that there would be no problems using large cards, up to the largest available. This is absurd!

Adviser
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

It has been a year now... has this been fixed? NO.

I really hope it's fixed in Oreo.

Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

I'd also like to know when this will be fixed.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I use a similar (I think, the same one Class 10, U1) Sandisk SDXC card and have not had any issues with it for nearly a year by now.