account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Low volume of Microphone

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Low volume of Microphone

The new bought Xperia X Compact has problem during call with main microphone. Even adjusted the volume to highest, other end said that my voice is very weak.  I needed to turn on the microphone (press Audio Output), then other can hear me clearly, but everyone could hear our talk!

I found similar problem with Z3 Compact but not in X Compact:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/Mic-problem-returned-after-update-6-0-1/m-p/1114111...

- Software Update executed (Android 6.0.1 already latest in Hong Kong as this moment)

- Diagnostics of microphone executed

- No external cover was used

- No headphone was used (so the noice suppression cannot be set)

Other than returning to Sony Centre, what are the solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Apprentice
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

Re: Low volume of Microphone

I replaced it with new one and problem solved.

15 REPLIES 15
Genius
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Hi @papaplaying,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your phone.

Just to clarify, the phone passed the test in Diagnostics or did you experience the volume being low here as well? 

Have you tried making a call using another SIM-card? If not I would suggest that you try that, if possible. I would also recommend that you try making a call after having changed the preferred network mode, for example to GSM Only. This is done under Settings > More > Mobile networks > Preferred Network mode > Select GSM Only and reboot your phone followed by making a call, is there any change then?

I would also recommend that you try making a call with your phone rebooted to safe mode in order to rule out any of your downloaded apps being behind this.

Please keep me posted!

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Thanks. The Diagnostics test was OK, but it did not equal to the sound heard from other end.  Also, the SIM card is brand new one issued by telecommunication operator.

I've tried the "GSM only" preferred network type, but it did not help and the internet connection speed became very very slow.  Then I tried to adjust the setting below and it seems better:

-> Sound & notification -> Accessory settings -> Mic sensitivity -> Low

It was set as "Auto", but it cannot automatically optimise the mic sensitivity.  Also, if I reboot it in safe mode, even it may work, I need to uninstall individual apps in the phone to test it.  There are so many apps installed and it is impossible.

Please check that whether there is any best solution.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Repeated testing and found that setting mic sensitivity did not work much. Tried reboot in safe mode and sound became louder. However I don't know which app(s) caused the problem!
Apprentice
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

I replaced it with new one and problem solved.

Genius
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

If it works as intended while your phone is rebooted to safe mode it's caused by one of your downloaded apps, I'm sorry to say that it's hard to say exactly which one. I would recommend starting with installing all available updates, should that not help a good start is to begin with uninstalling the most recently installed apps.

I'm glad to hear it's working now, let me know if there's anything else!

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

@Didrik wrote:

If it works as intended while your phone is rebooted to safe mode it's caused by one of your downloaded apps, I'm sorry to say that it's hard to say exactly which one. I would recommend starting with installing all available updates, should that not help a good start is to begin with uninstalling the most recently installed apps.

I'm glad to hear it's working now, let me know if there's anything else!

Hi,

I just got my Xperia X Compact this week and have the issue of really low microphone volume, but also low speaker volume. During a phonecall I need to have it on speakerphone but then hold the phone like you would for a normal call. That's the only way I can be heard and the only way I can hear what is being said. Even at the loudest volume the ring tone is very quiet.

I have tried this in Safe mode and get the same result. Having done searches it seems this problem isn't unique but no-one seems to be able to find a solution that works. What should I do now?

Genius
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Hi @colso101,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that. If you do experience this even with your device rebooted to safe mode I would advise you to perform a software repair using a computer and our program Xperia Companion, that way we can rule out if this is related to software or not.

Do note that this will reset the phone completely, there is however a Backup option found on the startup menu in Xperia Companion so you can backup your data first.

Let me know how it goes!

One time poster
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Hi! My girlfriend has also this problem with her Xperia X Compact. We've tested it one hundred thousand times.

-Diagnostics Test comes back good.

-So does an audio recording in "Whatsapp" for example.

-But if I make a call using "WhatsApp" or the Carrier Network it stops working.

-Using a Headset or Headphones with Mic work all fine

-It does a very peculiar thing where there's a lot of background noise and it suppresses it after like 5 secs. Also, the mic itself is very sensitive to the point I can hear on my iPhone the sounds I make while holding and scrubbing my hands on the phone. Now if I talk, even loud on the mic, it'll sound as If I was under water or no sound at all.

We have tried restarting it in safemode with the exact same results. We did restored the software (which faild at leaset twice) using the Xperia companion but it remains the same.

What else can we do? we expeced so much of this phone Slightly frowning Face

Apprentice
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

Probably hardware problem. Replacing with new one is only solution. Hope Sony improve QC in the future!