account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Little red light on the front

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Little red light on the front

Hi there,
I noticed a little red light just next to the Sony label on the right, above the screen. What is that? It seems to be on whenever I use the phone.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Re: Little red light on the front

@Chruwus That's because you have enabled adaptive brightness so the sensor is on all the time.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

14 REPLIES 14
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Hi @Chruwus,

Welcome to the community,

When you put the phone on charge, is the light that shows up the same light that is showing? 

Have you attempted to simply power the device down and then power it back up.

Let me know.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

Hi Jake,

I don't mean the status LED that glows in different colors depending on unread messages or during charging. Just left of the LED is a light that is constantly on when the screen is Active, glowing red. Might be infrared, now I think about it... Maybe a distance sensor? But it is on whether I am calling someone or not...
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

@Chruwus Please see this:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ/Constant-red-light-on-the-front-side-of-the-phone/m-p/11712...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Rookie
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Oh thanks!
Seems to be the case on all xperia x models? Still wondering why a brightness sensor needs to glow though 🤔
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

@Chruwus That's because you have enabled adaptive brightness so the sensor is on all the time.

Commissioner
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

Huh? Really? I have had the adaptive brightness on since day one (and in the last few days it even seems it started working as it had to, without going full dark) but I have never seen any red light. Should it be there under sunlight or all the time?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check my theme collection for Xperia™ devices!
Visit my FaceBook Page
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

It is visible in dark areas and it should "breathe" every now and then, blink slowly.

Commissioner
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

Ahhh!!! I've seen it now! It shows only with the screen on, though. And it's very dimmed. That's why I've never noticed it before. All right then. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check my theme collection for Xperia™ devices!
Visit my FaceBook Page
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Tiny Red Light near "SONY" LOGO

Hi Again... What is that???