account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Other XPERIA smartphone`s firmware build.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Other XPERIA smartphone`s firmware build.

Hi all!

I know that one of the advantages of stock firmware over custom firmware is it's optimization (battery consumption, performance, etc.) for current smartphon.

How strongly is tied firmwares optimization efficiency to its designed smartphone?

I could flash my Xperia V with Xperia Z firmware since there wont be any more updates for Xperia V. What difference will it make for firmware? This smartphones are alike, main difference in chipset models (MSM8960 and APQ8064) - no big deal, right?

Also, it would be great if someone could explain build number meaning or decryption, I couldn`t find any information on that anywhere.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Other XPERIA smartphone`s firmware build.

You can't flash another phones firmware onto a different device as this would render your device an expensive paper weight - The big deal is drivers and a whole load of other coding

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

5 REPLIES 5
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

You can't flash another phones firmware onto a different device as this would render your device an expensive paper weight - The big deal is drivers and a whole load of other coding

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

So the reason i can flash certain CyanogenMod ROM for my phone is that its specifically made for it with all drivers, codes and stuff? And others would become brickmakers (or something) for my phone?

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

It hasn't been made specifically for your phone but it has been ported meaning it will come pre-installed with the correct chipset drivers for your model - You couldn't install another CM11 designed for say an Xperia Z1

Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

I see, thanx for you help!

Could it be done with same chipset phones (for example, Xperia Z and Xiaomi Mi-Two)? Or there is more than that?

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

No and don't risk it for example the Z1 and Z Ultra have the same chip but the way the code is written is different and would result in a bricked device