account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Need help regarding flashing custom ROM

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Need help regarding flashing custom ROM

I am new to this stuff and want to install this custom rom to my phone

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2284394

Can anybody tell me which kernel I should download....and what steps should i follow while using the flashtool ...??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
One time poster
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Need help regarding flashing custom ROM

1) First of all, you need to unlock your Bootloader. Follow the instructions here.

-----> If your Bootloader cannot be unlocked, you will not be able to proceed with the installation of the ROM

2) Once your Bootloader is unlocked, install CWM Recovery

3) Download the ROM from here, and copy the file to the main directory of your phone.

4) Enter CWM Recovery. To do this, make sure your phone is fully charged, then turn it off. Now you have to turn it back on, and as soon as you see the Sony logo tap the Volume-down button.

5) Once you're inside CWM Recovery, you have to delete the following:

- cache

- data

- dalvik cache

Then go to Install Custom ROM, and select the file name of the ZIP file you copied to your phone, install it, and after installation follow the on-screen instructions to restart your phone.

First time restart of the phone with the new ROM might take up to 10 minutes, so don't worry when you see the Boot image cycling over and over again. Just be patient, and you'll be enjoying your new ROM in no time!

7 REPLIES 7
One time poster
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

1) First of all, you need to unlock your Bootloader. Follow the instructions here.

-----> If your Bootloader cannot be unlocked, you will not be able to proceed with the installation of the ROM

2) Once your Bootloader is unlocked, install CWM Recovery

3) Download the ROM from here, and copy the file to the main directory of your phone.

4) Enter CWM Recovery. To do this, make sure your phone is fully charged, then turn it off. Now you have to turn it back on, and as soon as you see the Sony logo tap the Volume-down button.

5) Once you're inside CWM Recovery, you have to delete the following:

- cache

- data

- dalvik cache

Then go to Install Custom ROM, and select the file name of the ZIP file you copied to your phone, install it, and after installation follow the on-screen instructions to restart your phone.

First time restart of the phone with the new ROM might take up to 10 minutes, so don't worry when you see the Boot image cycling over and over again. Just be patient, and you'll be enjoying your new ROM in no time!

Visitor
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Thanks you so much !!
And one more thing, how can i use titanium backup to backup and restore my data & what's the use of a nandroid backup...??

One time poster
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

I never used Titanium Backup, so I won't advise on that. As far as nandroid backup goes, I also never had to use it, since I never had any problems with the ROM's or kernels I used. You can read up on the details of CWM recovery nandroid backup here.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

It's not necessary to unlock bootloader to install cwm, I did it on my phone and it's working without problems.

GO here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1948455

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Unlocked Bootloader isn't necessary for CWM, but, it is NECESSARY to flash most custom ROM's, and that's what this post is about, as the title suggests...

Visitor
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

i tried to install CWM using recover x software....according to that software everything was installed ..

But when i tried to enter the recovery mode by pressing volume down key when sony logo appears,,, nothing happened....how can i install it properly..??

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

The directions I gave you were specific for the proper installation of the Jellybean ROM for which you provided the link to.

For the proper installation of the CWM Recovery and the custom ROM from my above links, you need to unlock your Bootloader.

If you didn't unlock your Bootloader, or, if your 'Bootloader Unlock Allowed' status in Service Menu reads NO, then you will not be able to install either this CWM Recovery nor the Jellybean ROM you wanted.

If you did unlock your Bootloader prior to the CWM installation, and you're having this problem, then please log in to XDA Xperia U Android Development forum, and go the the thread from which you downloaded your CWM Recovery, and write a post describing the whole process you went through when you installed your CWM. Specify all details, as this might be a simple glitch, or perhaps a simple error on your part.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, unlocking the Bootloader on your Xperia U is very important.