account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Increasing free RAM. Tips and tricks.

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 11 of 30
Message 11 of 30

Re: Increasing free RAM. Tips and tricks.

thank you so much for this. As it seems, facebook app was a big RAM eater

Demigod
Message 12 of 30
Message 12 of 30

Demigod
Message 13 of 30
Message 13 of 30

Its a bit better with the latest update..Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 14 of 30
Message 14 of 30

Hey Arnab,

You're doing great around the forums Slightly smiling Face

I have some tips also!

For GB/ICS

• DON'T USE LIVE WALLPAPERS! Yes, they may look nice and cool, but they are battery and RAM eaters, and have a nasty habit of killing your launcher, so it takes a while to come back and respond.
  • Disable location services (GPS etc.) until you need them! Android likes to open apps like Maps and Navigation in the background because GPS is on, because it is trying to predict what app you will open next based on the current system state.
  • An alternative launcher like Holo Launcher or Apex Launcher (ICS only) can have performance benefits over the stock Xperia launcher. These also provide more customisability. I wouldn't recommend Go Launcher.
  • Install Night Mode! Night mode gives you more control over brightness when the service is running. It also disables the soft key buttons light, which introduces further battery saving!

For ICS

• Freeze apps which you can't uninstall, e.g. network specific apps.
  • Hold the home button and swipe tasks away when you're finished with them. This will close any open services related to that application

For Root Users (Advanced)

• Install ES Task Manager. I'm serious. Before you go "HURR DURR TASK MANAGER U DNT NEED DEM", I'm not asking you to use it as a task manager. There is a handy feature in it called Startup Manager, which allows you to enable and disable app startups on boot and in the background, including system apps!

WARNING! Disabling an essential service could have undesired effects and may BRICK your device. Exercise caution and research a service BEFORE disabling it if you are in any way unsure.
  • Root Uninstaller (available from the Play Store) can uninstall system applications. As above, BE CAREFUL about what you uninstall. You can BRICK your device (I once tried to uninstall Android System for the lulz, whilst being funny, it bricked my device).

I hope this is useful to some people!

One time poster
Message 15 of 30
Message 15 of 30

Good post, all standard operating proceedure when using Android - switch off anything you don't have direct control of - anything auto-updating etc.

It's cool to have Facebook running but until they start working on battery technology it's much better to use the app and specify for yourself what you're doing with the internet

I was never one to believe it, but AppKillers drain your battery. Especially with ICS in Xperia because the two systems fight each other and thus are always on in the background, wanting control of the system.

I was surprised just how well the extended standyby app is. Amazed actually. I'm a heavy user - very heavy, and it's giving me a day of use...one charge overnight.

One time poster
Message 16 of 30
Message 16 of 30

What the situation with task managers and Android, and how it has been since 2.2 Froyo, is that Google changed the API's in Android so that task managers, unless they run as root, cannot kill tasks, they can only restart them. The processes of killing these tasks and them starting back up again uses CPU cycles, which in turn drains battery.

You should only kill a task if it is misbehaving, you have stopped using the app (by holding down home and swiping to clear) or if it is causing a lot of wakelocks or using too much CPU. A good app to monitor CPU and wakelocks is System Tuner. If its causing a bunch of wakelocks, its not an app worth keeping.

One time poster
Message 17 of 30
Message 17 of 30

What do you mean by the name "task killer".. I use only Android assistant to kill aps, but now I am not sure if it is useful or not... And how do you know how much RAM you use when you don't have something like Android assistant?

Demigod
Message 18 of 30
Message 18 of 30

check settings>running apps.

no need of any assistant, just use apps you need and disable unrequired apps.

Please mark Correct and Helpful answers and you can also visit my blog at:arnabghosal1989's Blog

One time poster
Message 19 of 30
Message 19 of 30

oh I found it settings-applications-run

Demigod
Message 20 of 30
Message 20 of 30

anytime.

Please mark Correct and Helpful answers and you can also visit my blog at:arnabghosal1989's Blog