Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.
It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.
Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.
Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.
2012-07-06 10:02 AM
Hey guys I just finished tinkering with my phone and got some very good results. Before this my free RAM was around 50-60 MB and now it is around 200 MB. Wanted to share it with you guys if it helps you in usage of the mobile. I am listing the things I did here in points:
1. Uninstalled all the uninstallable apps given by default with the model viz: McAfee. powersaver etc.
2. Stopped sync for all the apps except google with updates only in two subparts of google, gmail and instant uploads. This ensures that I get notifications when I get mails. I did this by going to the Sync option in settings and then switching sync off for all apps except google. I click on the google option and then inside I switch of all the options except the above two.
3. I do not have any task-killers or antivirus, only use apps downloaded from google play and so I do not need virus killers, they are ineffective anyways. Also I do not need task-killers as they use up more RAM than they save.
4. Do not use any apps that prevent the phone from going to sleep, as these apps have processes running in the background and use up RAM. They use not only RAM but also battery. Eg of such: task-killers, network boosters, some games.
5. Switched off automatic updating of all my apps including default ones and downloaded ones, keeping the automatic update enabled caused many apps to keep checking the availability of updates via background processes. Whenever there is an update available, I get a notification and if I want to update I do it.
6. In the facebook for android app, switched off all notifications and notification rings and noises except maybe the ones for new friend requests and wall posts. As I am not syncing FB in the mobile, so I do not really need notifications. When I log on to FB, I can myself see all the notifications. This closes a lot of useless FB processes and brings down its RAM usage from 40 MB to around 10 MB.
7. For people using Ebuddy for FB and Gtalk chat I would suggest using GoChat for FB chat and either the gtalk application for gtalk chat or the fring application. Gotalk+fring RAM usage is around 30 MB whereas Ebuddy uses 45-50 MB RAM.
8. Stopped using the MS office app given by xperia as it uses RAM constantly and started using Kingsoft office app. This app can open+edit MS office docs and also open pdf files, so this solves the need of having an xtra adobe pdf reader ap, thus saving space.
9. Stopped all the FB inside Xperia things as I do not use timescape and stuff like that.
10. Stopped all app activation in Liveware Manager. Really do not need all those stuff.
11. Stopped the mobile bravia engine, didnt see much detioration in pic quality. I dont know if I will activate it again, but with 200 MB free RAM, I may think of activating this again...
I hope you guys can benefit from at least some of these things. Good Luck. Arnab.
2012-07-26 09:47 AM
Thanx ! Good tips. I have 137 MB now.
Mobile Bravia Engine turning on or off is not showing any change in RAM ! Why ?
2012-07-30 08:56 PM
i m on ics neo v
plz elaborate why task killer apps are not useful..?
i mean the phone does seem to function faster after using the app..
2012-07-31 01:37 PM
in my country, xperia u come with turkcell (like t-mobile/at&t) rom. turkcell's apps are spending much ram and these applications cannot be removed. despite this, xperia u is very very fast
2012-08-03 05:11 AM
I have a neo v upgraded vith ICS ....but can any one let me know how to download MS OFFICE 2007/2010 into it ...Please let me know step by step....process..
Other than this my MC ACFEE has beeen disabled after upgradation to ICS...How to activate this application as well as other application.....