account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

GPS-long fix times and accuracy issues.

SOLVED
Talent
Message 11 of 36
Message 11 of 36

Re: terrible GPS compared to optimus p500

I don't have this problem either. GPS works ok.There is a little delay for friends in Latitude but not much (seconds). Maybe it's about settings, network or the phone itself. And the accuracy is ok too. There are sometimes big errors like other country or even continent but very rarely and not for long. Just take it easy, there are more issues to discover :smileygrin:

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 12 of 36
Message 12 of 36

The phone was a branded one. I debranded it. Doing so software updates were availble. After software update the GPS works well.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 13 of 36
Message 13 of 36

If your phone is a branded one and software updates are not availbale because of this, one solution could be to debrand it.

Visitor
Message 14 of 36
Message 14 of 36

@plolopan, thanks for your reply.

my phone is not branded, i updated it with recently releaed build .184, but GPS is still not working.

I tested it once with gps status, and it took about 45 min to fix. So,became worse after update.

I decided to give it to service center, but couldn't make time for it now. May be a week later.

One time poster
Message 15 of 36
Message 15 of 36

I have 6.0.B.1.564 sw version and this GPS-related problem is only one problem I noticed on my phone. It's exactly the same problem - GPS cannot locate it's position - it takes 5 minutes on free land. I have experience with GPS signal from many other phones brands and each mobile phone catched GPS after 1 minute max.

I checked GPS data through GPS TEST application. Phone is finding 5 satellites ok, but that's all. Sometimes it catch only 2 or 3 satellites. But it doesn't show any other GPS data like longitude or speed. It's just looking for satellites.

It's real bug in sw version 6.0.B.1.564 . But it's only one bug, that's why I don't upgrade sw to newer ver Winking Face

Visitor
Message 16 of 36
Message 16 of 36

after update fixing times jumped up to 30 mins or more.

I went to service center. At last they took my phone, but no use, they simply repaired software and gave it back.

I showed then it self that gps is not working, but they still asked me to bear for some more days and come back again if it doesn't work, and then they'll replace handset.

i'll go this weekend again.

Visitor
Message 17 of 36
Message 17 of 36

Repair couldn't help you !!! You knew it, I repaired with SUS and i lost all of my phone's Content !!! but if want to do that,back up your Data with another software instead of PCC !!!

One time poster
Message 18 of 36
Message 18 of 36

im facing the same problem but i managed to fix it in a very annoying way until sony devs fix it

go to the market and download GPSFIX " you would probably want to turn off the internet cuz of the terrible ads" then set the duration from settings to half hour and let the application fix your location once its done close it and open google maps services will fix your location quickly .. hope i helped Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 19 of 36
Message 19 of 36

As you already said, it's annoying. I already tried that app and it's like any other gps using app. It is not particularly speed in fixing. It doesn't matter what you open, It takes half an hour, then why not open maps it self? atleast you can see approx position using wireless networks. GPS STATUS or GPS TEST is better (if you don't use your mobile until it fixes to GPS) since thay also show signal strength and some other useful stuff.

Hope it helps.

Visitor
Message 20 of 36
Message 20 of 36

Oscar (GPS Developer) Told in this Thread http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/45751?start=40&tstart=0 :

"

Hi All,

In the Android 4.0 (ICS) update the GPS performance in Xperia P, Xperia U, Xperia sola and Xperia go have been improved through software changes.

We believe that this will make a huge difference in time to first fix performance for most users.

Please let us know if you still see these problems after updating to Android 4.0.

//Oskar "

So we can hope and wait for ICS ...