account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

GPS-long fix times and accuracy issues.

SOLVED
Learner
Message 31 of 36
Message 31 of 36

Re: GPS-long fix times and accuracy issues.

Can I try this with my Xperia GO on Jelly Bean? My phone is crazy with GPS...

My phone is 2 month old and I have it on repair for 47 days. First I send it to repair beacuse it didn' t get fix on sattelites. When I get it back and trying to fix sattelites, my friend called me, but I didn' t hear him- internal speaker (earphone) wasn' t working. I send it back twoo hours after I get it from repair. When I contact service for my phone via e-mail and write my problems with my phone, I didn' t get any reply. 

I think this is realy disaster GPS. And I am riding my bicicyle and using Endomondo Pro sport tracker. Before I have Sony Live With Walkman and it worked just fine.

Should they give me new phone?

Sony Xperia GO, GPS- katastrofa.jpg

Learner
Message 32 of 36
Message 32 of 36

I root it and install Faster GPS. Today without data transfer GPS works fine, it only needed 1 minute to get signal. Tomorrow I will try with data transfer (A-Gps) on.

Learner
Message 33 of 36
Message 33 of 36

With A-GPS is phone still crazy. I will give it to my daughter, beacuse it is usefull for me. Next phone will be Samsung. Maybee- beacuse Sony Live With Walkman is perfect....

Learner
Message 34 of 36
Message 34 of 36

Hello All, 

I have and continue to have very poor GPS performance from this Xperia U phone. 

The phone has been in for "repair" three times already in just over 12 months with various problems. It would go into and endless SONY / XPERIA / reboot cycle when you turned it on and the only way to get out of it was a complete re-install. It did this several times beforeI gave up and sent it away. 

The GPS performance was very poor throughout and the last time I sent it off GMAIL and several other apps just kept abnormally terminating - even if I did a complete re-install.

I have had the phone back for a month and the GPS is still terrible. Compared to my old Blackberry or HTC wildfire it takes a very long time to get a fix and then it does not seem to get a fix on as many satellites. A-GPS etc does not seem to be a factor in this. 

I am going to upgrade to Android 4 but I have previously done this when getting my phone back and it has not improved anything.

Learner
Message 35 of 36
Message 35 of 36

Ok, I have let the phone upgrade the Android System as it has been moaning at me to do and I have to say there has been no improvement in the GPS performance. It is very irritating that sometimes it works, other times it does not. It sometimes starts hunting for GPS signal when it has been working fine. This is in the middle of a field with clear blue sky above.

And at the same time, my old HTC or Blackberry will signal lock almost instantly to twice as many satellites as this phone and stay locked on them. The location accuracy of this SONY is reporting as 8 to 9 metres and the HTC less than 3 metres.

I give up and will have to send the phone back yet again - that is the 3rd of 4th time for basically the same problem. Additionally, I tried to use Google Maps / navigation for the first time having done the android upgrade and it won't work at all, just goes to a black screen.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 36 of 36
Message 36 of 36

I forgot to say I also tried A-GPS downloads and that did not make any real difference either. I suspect it is the "Antenna" or whatever is used to get the satellite signals.