account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

GPS-long fix times and accuracy issues.

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 21 of 36
Message 21 of 36

Re: terrible GPS compared to optimus p500

still no news about ICS release date?

somebody psoted that it is releasing at the end of this month!

I can't wait, my GPS became useless with the buggy software, and they neither release software on time, nor  reveal the date.

HATE you sony..

Visitor
Message 22 of 36
Message 22 of 36

It Seems they posted true new. i forget that my phone has GPS feature Slightly smiling Face))))

Highlighted
Adept
Message 23 of 36
Message 23 of 36

When I'm using google maps and want to see my location, after a minute of waiting it just says "your location is curently unavailable" no matter where I am, It has never found my location, except for once, I had data traffic enabled and after about 15th try if found my position exactly, But when I exited maps, and wanted to use them again it coudn't find me, again it just said location is unavalable. Funny thing is my bro's cheap lg optimus me has no or very little problem finding location, even if data trafic is turned off (when I had data traffic off, it is not possible to find me, I was trying for half an hour and than gave up)

Visitor
Message 24 of 36
Message 24 of 36

Hello guys, finally got some kind of round about  method to make my gps usable, atleast for my problem.

My problem was not with signal reception or signal drops, but it was taking more than half an hour to fix even if lot of satellites were in view with good signal.

here's what I did..

Turn on the gps, and open gps test or gps status app. After two to three mins it shows around 5 satellites with decent signal. then go to options and tap on update agps data. It'll connect to satellites within few seconds(10-15). It sends only a little of data, so no need to worry about data costs(some times I'm not even charged for it). just turn on data just before you update agps data, and turn off again.

If it doesn't show any satellites with signal, reset agps (or clear agps data) and try again. it will work(atleast worked for me).

In a nut shell, I just updated the gps data. I did it previously too, didn't work then. I think updating agps data after having good signal, making the difference. After connecting to satellites, all gps apps will work fine.

anyway, I can use gps now in the hour of need. Instead of half an hour, it takes less than 5 mins.

check these screen shots.

screenshot_2012-09-13_2022.png

Visitor
Message 25 of 36
Message 25 of 36

Hey, OSCAR.. GPS is not working even after ICS update. In fact it got worse for me. the above workaround is also not working anymore.

I guess I should have replaced my phone instead of waiting for ICS.

One time poster
Message 26 of 36
Message 26 of 36

As you mentioned upper, that's how GPS system works. If you have enabled mobile data, GPS is as first asking network servers in the Internet about current position of sattelites - this calls AGPS. After sending/receiving infos (we are talking about 2-5 seconds) GPS shows lot of sattelites (appr. 13) and fix quickly (f.e. max 40 seconds). Now you don't need enabled network connection and when you turn OFF GPS and turn it bak ON, your GPS will fix after 5 seconds. You can try it after 2 hours and GPS would still fix quickly. But when you dramatically change your position with GPS OFF and you turn it ON, you have old AGPS data about sattelites and GPS "problem" is here. So you have to temporary enable network connection, in Settings of mentioned app tap button "Receive AGPS data"

If you have rooted your phone, you can use f.e. Root Browser to see in folder structure file System/etc/gps.conf . This file contains name of server which it contacts for receiving AGPS data

Visitor
Message 27 of 36
Message 27 of 36

Thanks for the info dude.

But. I already know everything you've mentioned including the last sentence, and I still can't make my gps work.

The fixes seem to be arbitary. sometimes works quick (I'm talking about 3-5- min) and sometimes not at all(depends on my patience)..Recently, It is not fixing even when I'm connected to wifi and standing in open space. I tried clearing AGPS data and updating it many times.

No phone phone I have seen(with AGPS or even GPS) had this problem. They never had a need to update gps data or clear manually. Within half a minute location shows up in maps.by just simply opening maps. I have to mess up with gps everytime I want to use GPS and not sure whether It'll connect at all.

I'm assuming that it's some kind of hardware issue because software updates, repairs don't work. I'm gonna go to service center and ask for replacement. SHolud've done this long back instead of waiting for ICS,

I always have this doubt. Why shoud we root our phone to make gps fixes faster?

Why don;t they preload the correct server data in gps.conf.

One time poster
Message 28 of 36
Message 28 of 36

Hello guys,

Greetings from Argentina. I have an Xperia U and have the same problem with accuracy and connecting initially. I'm running 2.3.7 B1.564 stock

//EDIT

Flashed to 2.3.7 B3.184 same problem

Flashed to 4.0.4 B1.10. Rebooted, went out the balcony, opened maps and had a 5 sec pin-point. Perfect lock

Hope it helps

Cheers!

MSG edited: Luzßelito

One time poster
Message 29 of 36
Message 29 of 36

Re: GPS-long fix times and accuracy issues.

I'd the same problem where my Xperia P was unable to locate GPS satellites. By activating ONLY the 3G (data) connection on has allowed my XP to locate a satellite within two minutes - do not use wifi!!

However, I still believe that there is a software flaw that needs to be fixed!!

Visitor
Message 30 of 36
Message 30 of 36

Re: GPS-long fix times and accuracy issues.

I finally found the flaw, that I had all this time.

I rooted my phone and messes up with the gps.conf and tried many modifications to make it work.

Finally found that it is the problem with the AGPS SUPL server.

it is the server that is contacted by phone to get agps data. If that data is downloaded and there is some GPS signal, gps will fix instantly.

Somehow, that server was changed to

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com

SUPL_PORT=7276

instead of

SUPL_HOST=supl.sonyericsson.com

SUPL_PORT=7275

This caused problems fetting agps data, and only gps was used to fix, which would usually take 12-15 mins.

One more thing that effects the time of fix is the ntp server. Change it to your own country and the gps will fix within 15-30 secs, even on cold start.

There is an app to modify this file easily, if you are feared of messing up with the file.

FasterGPS.

(agps server setting is located in advanced settings).

To sum up, if you have set up NTP server to your country, and agps server to sonyericsson and have working internet connection(only for downloading AGPS which is negligible in amount), there should be no problem with gps fixes.

(I PMed Oscar-GPS to know about AGPS server details, credits to him)

After applying these settings, I'm now getting fixes within half a minute and accuracy of 4-8m, consistently, and it connects upto 10 satellites,.

Screenshot_2013-06-14-07-02-30.png