account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

3G on Xperia U

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

3G on Xperia U

Hi,

I am unable to find any option for switching to 3G on my Xperia U. Is it assumed that the phone will operate in 3G mode if we have a 3G datapack available ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: 3G on Xperia U

the settings are in wireless & networks and then mobile networks. Choose WCDMA only if you have good 3G coverage. otherwise choose WCDMA preffered.

---------------------------------------

SONY should stop calling this WCDMA. as this is really HSPA

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

the settings are in wireless & networks and then mobile networks. Choose WCDMA only if you have good 3G coverage. otherwise choose WCDMA preffered.

---------------------------------------

SONY should stop calling this WCDMA. as this is really HSPA

One time poster
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Wideband Code Division Multiple Access W-CDMA – the radio technology of UMTS - is a part of the ITU IMT-2000 family of 3G Standards.

Both Frequency Division Duplex (FDD) and Time Division Duplex (TDD) variants are supported.

W-CDMA is a spread-spectrum modulation technique; one which uses channels whose bandwidth is much greater than that of the data to be transferred. Instead of each connection being granted a dedicated frequency band just wide enough to accommodate its envisaged maximum data rate, W-CDMA channels share a much larger band.

The modulation technique encodes each channel in such a way that a decoder, knowing the code, can pick out the wanted signal from other signals using the same band, which simply appear as so much noise.

UMTS uses a core network derived from that of GSM, ensuring backward compatibility of services and allowing seamless handover between GSM access technology and W CDMA.

At the end of 2007, W-CDMA represented over 70% of commercial 3G networks, with over 190 networks in 83 countries, and more than 160 million W-CDMA subscriptions.

75 million W-CDMA subscriptions were added between September 2006 and 2007 and throughout 2007 W-CDMA experienced average growth of 6.6 million subscriptions per month. W-CDMA handset sales now outstrip 2G sales in Europe as consumers seek high-end phones.

SONY TECHNICALY CORRECT...BUT SHOULD CALING 3G Dizzy Face

Visitor
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Thanx sajib ! I did not know this. But I think sony should call this setting as 3G, 2G , 2.5G etc for laymen like me !

Talent
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

There are some apps which tell you in status bar what kind of network are you using. This is one of them:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=msd.n2g.n3g&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsI....

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Thanks so much.. Slightly smiling Face