account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Can't find app.Not in google play

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Can't find app.Not in google play

Hi

I'm trying go transfer all data from my old phone (xperia z3 compact) ro my new phone (xperia xz2 compact).

No problem go find the app (xperia transfer mobile) on my new phone.

But I can't find the app on my old phone. And not on Google Play either.

Even if i click the link on Sonys site https://www.sonymobile.com/se/apps-services/xperia-transfer/#gref

I just end up at Google Play saying page doesn't exist.

Is it not possible go download this app for my old phone? 

5 REPLIES 5
One time poster
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Re: Xperia Transfer !?

Hi, i have a problem:

When i want to use Xperia Transfer the cellphone says that app didn't exist. 

One time poster
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Re: Can't find app.Not in google play

The Xperia mobile transfer app is no longer available in the Google Play store ... please help us, SONY!

Rookie
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Same problem here, Xperia Transfer Mobile is just gone from Play store, although Sonymobile site still has a lot of links to this app.

I need to transfer some apps with settings to my new phone. Android backup to Google Drive doesn't work, stopping at 50%, and now it turns out I can't use XTM either. Thank you very much Sony.

Rookie
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

After playing with different app transfer options on Sony phones, I am now pretty sure that it is not possible to transfer apps from your older Sony phone to your new Android 9 Sony phone, using standard tools provided by Android or Sony.

I had Sony Z3 Compact phone with Android 6 and some apps I needed to transfer *with app data* into my new Sony XZ1 Compact phone. I was able to transfer everything except apps with standard backup tool, but backup of applications did not work, stopping at 50% every time. So I thought I would be able to use Xperia Transfer Mobile as my new phone recommended, but I wasn't able to get XTM from Play store into my old phone because Sony removed this app. Anyway, Sony says XTM cannot be used to import applications data into Android 9, that's probably the reason it was pulled out from Play store.

So I also tried PC Companion, but it does not support backing up applications.

After some time I found a way to transfer applications to my new phone. I used Helium from Play store. To transfer app data, you will also need USB cables, local wifi network and Helium Chrome extension (or Carbon if you need desktop application). After you connect your old phone to your Helium server, you will be able to open Helium app running in your old phone from your PC, and backup your applications with data. Then you download the backup.zip to your PC, connect to Helium app running in your new phone and upload the backup, then restore it. The only trick is to learn the Helium URL of your phone, you can get it via Settings menu in you phone Helium app.

While playing with Helium, I learned two essential restrictions:

- Helium does not back up apps if developer of the app does not allow backups. In this case the app is not listed in the list of applications in Helium. For example, Candy Crush Saga could not be backed up.

- You can back up and restore either full app with data, or only app data. However, if you restore the full app with data, the new application is not added to the list of available applications in your new phone. So you have to install app from Play store and then restore the app data with Helium.

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

This is transcript from Sony Xperia Chat Support today - initial chat recommended using Sony Companion on PC - but that still requires Xperia Transfer mobile app to be downloaded - but you can't if its not available

Mike Williams

Welcome to Xperia Support by Sony, my name is Mike Williams. I’m currently reading your question. Please provide your e-mail address and contact number for personalized support.

Malcolm

we seem to be going round in circles - using xperia companion - following instructions - to get data off old phone its asking to download xperia Transfer Mobile - that seems to be the problem - for some reason that is not available

Mike Williams

Am so sorry for that Malcolm , In that case i am sorry you will have to wait till our developers fix the reason behind why it is not showing on google play as it has been escalated to them

Malcolm

any idea on how long - looking at Sony Forum its been an issue for a while and there's been zero response from Sony - so I'm now stuck with data split over 2 phones - 1 disabled as SIM card has been transferred

Mike Williams

To be honest we have no time frame in order not to mislead our customers but what we can guarantee is as soon as possible

Is there anything else I can help with in the meantime?

Malcolm

But its misleading customers if all that info & instructions on Sony website but the app not there to back it up and seems to been for a while judging by disgruntled messages on forum. There's no response or acknowledgement from Sony that there is an issue & its being looked at. Just seen that My Support ending on 1 April so wonder if linked to that & never resolved! 

Mike Williams

Sorry for that Malcolm

We will pass that to our concerned team

Is there anything else I can help with in the meantime?

Thank you for using the Xperia Chat Support by Sony, have a nice day.