account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Mic on Xperia Tablet Z is incredibly quiet; no settings to increase.

Message 21 of 130
Message 21 of 130

Re: Mic on Xperia Tablet Z is incredibly quiet; no settings to increase.

Sadly, I have always known where my mic is and similarly to what has been said before, i have to get within a couple inches before it is of any use and even then, not overly useful.

A mobile handsfree kit solved the problem, but that is hardly a solution.

You may wish to tell everybody what poorly designed case you are using, so that they can avoid it.

Regards,

af

Inhabitant
Message 22 of 130
Message 22 of 130

Why is Sony not providing any further responses to this thread. It would really help us all if you could provide an indication of when a solution may be expected,

aha !!!

I've just noticed that the status of this thread is 'Assumed Answered".  Who has assumed that, Sony ?

I'm therefore going to open a new thread to see if it triggers any response.

One time poster
Message 23 of 130
Message 23 of 130

Yeah, not answered.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 24 of 130
Message 24 of 130

Microphone on my first Xperia Tablet Z was useless, and confirmed with the Xperia Diagnostic App.  The replacement Tablet Z that Sony sent me has a microphone that works better, but is still far from perfect.  There might be a manufacturing problem with the hardware in addition to any software bugs.

Inhabitant
Message 25 of 130
Message 25 of 130

Slightly different issue today, the tablet wouldn't go to sleep, screen stays on.

Noticed it straight after trying a Skype video call (to show someone how bad the Mic is). I then did a force stop on Skype and one minute later the tablet went to sleep.

Could the problem with the Mic also be causing Skype to somehow behave funny. Either way, running a video call should not result in the tablet staying awake.

See related thread http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/496300#496300

Has anyone else seen this problem. Only seems to occur with video; voice and IM don't prevent sleeping (although of course voice is no good because of the Mic).

Message 26 of 130
Message 26 of 130

I removed Skype and the microphone worked perfectly on all other apps.

This problem is definitely with Skype. When you download Skype it does inform you that it may not work correctly with the Tablet Z as it has not been "certified" by them, as of yet.

I am sure this is not hardware related and I suspect the fault lies wholly with Skype.

They have had previous issues with other devices.

And as an addendum... I have just reloaded Skype and it too has appeared to have rectified itself. Perhaps Skype is getting its act together, under pressure from Sony.

Try it. Its still not perfect as Skype still insists in interfering with the speaker sound level as soon as it connects. I can see some sense in this, but it drags mine down to barely audible levels.

Visitor
Message 27 of 130
Message 27 of 130

I am quite sure I tried factory restore on my tablet and, without installing anything, sony voice recording still didn't work. I'm getting my tablet back from "repair" on monday, so I can try again.

From what I heard from the service center who checked the tablet, they ran a "test program" on it, that returned no errors, so they just sent it back. I guess they never even read the problem description...

Btw, anyone else got a backlight leakage on their tablet Z? My leakage in bottom right corner is visible when watching movies above 50% brightness in a normal livingroom enviroment.

Adviser
Message 28 of 130
Message 28 of 130

I removed Skype but no change on other apps on my tablet. Reinstalled Skype and still the same issue. So I dont think Skype has something to do with it ( on my tablet).

Message 29 of 130
Message 29 of 130

I uninstalled Skype, then installed Easy Voice Recorder which previously didn't work.

EVR suddenly worked fine. I then installed Skype again and it worked. When I say worked, noticeably better.  EVR is excellent now.

Previous uninstalls and installs didn't work. I am sure Skype is corrupting files or at least causing conflicts.

It reminds me of previous iOS releases that use to keep working in the background no matter what I did and in the end a complete wipe and fresh install solved the problem.

af

Inhabitant
Message 30 of 130
Message 30 of 130

I uninstalled Skype, shutdown tab and restarted.

Tested voice recorder. Still extremely quiet, possibly a little improved, but certainly not usable.

Re-installed Skype. No better.