account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

is Sony spying on users in this forum?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

is Sony spying on users in this forum?

What is this?

Authorize

I accept that support forum will access my profile data stored at Sony Smartphone.

How safe is our information? which "DATA" does Sony has access to and why? how is this data used?

what is this.png

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

Re: is Sony spying on users in this forum?

I am sorry for the confusion. Basically we have made some minor changes in the forum and it triggered this authorization pop-up. We constantly try to make the login as easy as possible for all our services. The information required to login is stored in a sony smartphone account. You can find your profile info here http://account.sonymobile.com . The forum needs certain information from your profile for you to be able to post and engage on the forum.

1. Confirmation that you are a registered user
  2. Your Alias/Username (I guess you are all familiar with where the alias is shown on the forum)
  3. Your email address. (in order for you to get email alerts from the forum)

So when you pushed accept in the pop-up you accept that the forum fetches these 3 items from your profile at Sony Smartphone.

I hope this clarifies it.

19 REPLIES 19
Emperor
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

I want a real valid explanation, why? it's my right as a user and the law.

California Online Privacy Protection Act. Which personal data/information is gathered and shared by Sony?

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36003

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

why would Sony do this? have they forgotten about this

http://pastebin.com/tr3iWBn6

this info was leaked

• 441 Members Username with Email Addresses
  • 24 User names with Hashed password from Think_Users table
  • 3 Admin user data from admin_user table

more info on this thread

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/326681#326681

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

This is indeed interesting. And while it is news to be, I am honestly not surprised.

My opinions

1). The Android platform is an open one. Thus meaning, everyone and anyone is free to tweak and do / make stuff for the platform, with its internal workings fully open and available for all to study and manipulate. As such, Android is darn susceptable to hack attacks, to the point that I actually do sometimes worry about world-wide attacks on the debilitating scale resembling the Blaster worm debacle back in 2002 for Windows XP (prompting SP2 to be released)

2). What on earth is Sony doing with our data again? Is this info from this very forum or straight from our smartphones (I'm assuming the latter). If so, is data still harvested even though we have told our phones not to send anonymous data to Sony for data collection (found in SETTINGS, and SONY ERICSSON at the top)?

3). I've read through the pastebin file and noticed that the user names, the majority of them at least, are from Hong Kong or mainland China. Maybe this was a governmental botch-up (though rather unlikely)

Yeah. Either way, my Arc S is probably going to be my first and last Android device. And also probably my 3rd and last Sony branded mobile phone. I'll probably opt for a cheap Android for backup purposes (as I've bought a few apps for Android), and probably end up going for a Nokia Pureview or a N9 64GB.

Sage
Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

Don't tell me it's the another attack similar to Playstation Network...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Network_outage

O_Olll

Regards,

Trubo

Emperor
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

what is this.png

Community Manager
Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

I am sorry for the confusion. Basically we have made some minor changes in the forum and it triggered this authorization pop-up. We constantly try to make the login as easy as possible for all our services. The information required to login is stored in a sony smartphone account. You can find your profile info here http://account.sonymobile.com . The forum needs certain information from your profile for you to be able to post and engage on the forum.

1. Confirmation that you are a registered user
  2. Your Alias/Username (I guess you are all familiar with where the alias is shown on the forum)
  3. Your email address. (in order for you to get email alerts from the forum)

So when you pushed accept in the pop-up you accept that the forum fetches these 3 items from your profile at Sony Smartphone.

I hope this clarifies it.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

dont worry even Xperia Support never tell any issue to Sony...

One time poster
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

i think yes

One time poster
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

the history is repeating ...