account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

When are we getting the latest update?

Commissioner
Message 2851 of 2,908
Message 2851 of 2,908

Re: When are we getting the latest update?

@DavidON wrote:

@blackbox wrote:

@truce wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong 

Without the new firmware i can't use 4G meanwhile the rest of the world can?

That's about right.

Hi. Puzzled newbie here. I got my SP from Amazon Warehouse just over a month ago. It's still running 4.1.2 (no sign of any updates in Ireland) but is happily accessing 4G.

It may be that a newish SIM card can avoid the need for an upgrade. This is perhaps confirmed by a Three representative (not specifically talking about SP's) - post #36.

Cheers,

DavidON.

I'm guessing you don't have a UK market phone. Sony have disabled 4G in the UK firmware.

Rookie
Message 2852 of 2,908
Message 2852 of 2,908

@blackbox wrote:
I'm guessing you don't have a UK market phone. Sony have disabled 4G in the UK firmware.

Thanks, blackbox. Yes, you're right, I bought it unlocked from Amazon (.co.uk).

Idle curiosity, why on earth would Sony build the functionality in and then disable it?

Commissioner
Message 2853 of 2,908
Message 2853 of 2,908

@DavidON wrote:

@blackbox wrote:

Thanks, blackbox. Yes, you're right, I bought it unlocked from Amazon (.co.uk).

Idle curiosity, why on earth would Sony build the functionality in and then disable it?

Partly by arrangement with the networks. EE/Orange were the first to get 4G over here -  the other networks complained that this was an unfair advantage and were scared of people switching over to Orange. That may have had something to do with it. Sony have said there's technical reasons. Whatever, it's not gone down well with the customers.
Your customisation number is indeed one of the UK unbranded ones that has 4G disabled. Seems it's just disabled for the UK networks. Can't remember when 4.3 went out to Ireland. Someone on here with the same firmware as you contacted Sony and they said they were going ahead with the .266 firmware rollout (I think) sometime this month, then .192 shortly after. I have a feeling they'll go straight to .192. When? No definite dates, but I reckon before the month is out.
Rookie
Message 2854 of 2,908
Message 2854 of 2,908

@blackbox wrote:
Your customisation number is indeed one of the UK unbranded ones that has 4G disabled. Seems it's just disabled for the UK networks.

Oh, that's a surprise! I was in London for a few days last week and could have sworn I connected to 4G. However, checking through logs and screenshots, not one of them was 4G/LTE!

So, to maximise my phone's usability, would I be better off (eventually) updating in Dublin (where I'm based) or London (where I am occasionally)?

Commissioner
Message 2855 of 2,908
Message 2855 of 2,908

@DavidON wrote:

@blackbox wrote:
Your customisation number is indeed one of the UK unbranded ones that has 4G disabled. Seems it's just disabled for the UK networks.

Oh, that's a surprise! I was in London for a few days last week and could have sworn I connected to 4G. However, checking through logs and screenshots, not one of them was 4G/LTE!

So, to maximise my phone's usability, would I be better off (eventually) updating in Dublin (where I'm based) or London (where I am occasionally)?

Interesting - that does seem to suggest Sony have done this at the behest of the networks.

It doesn't matter where you update, you'll still get the 1272-4687_R13A version. If you want a different build you can always download one of the available ftf files and flash it, but you don't really need to.

Rookie
Message 2856 of 2,908
Message 2856 of 2,908

@blackbox wrote:

It doesn't matter where you update, you'll still get the 1272-4687_R13A version. If you want a different build you can always download one of the available ftf files and flash it, but you don't really need to.

Thanks, blackbox.

Message 2857 of 2,908
Message 2857 of 2,908

iv also got 1272-4687_R13A and havnt recieved the update (i havnt checked pc companion or SUS today) but im just hoping this week

BW1
Adviser
Message 2858 of 2,908
Message 2858 of 2,908

I have 1272-4687_R13A and just checked PC Companion - says I'm up to date, so nothing yet for UK unbranded.

Adept
Message 2859 of 2,908
Message 2859 of 2,908

How to downgrade my sp C5302 to 4.1.2?I'm from India
Message 2860 of 2,908
Message 2860 of 2,908

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/How-to-manually-update-downgrade-root-2013-Xperias/m-p/...

You can also search XDA.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.