account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Poor mic peformance when recording

Visitor
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Poor mic peformance when recording

I have noticed that when I use the camera to record video that on playback the audio is really poor. This is especially true when I have recorded footage from a concert. The bass is just super distorted and you can not hear anything when watching the recorded footage. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this or if it is just a problem with my handset.

8 REPLIES 8
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Poor mic peformance when recording

Actually mic in sony sp provided is good. If you think mic performance is poor then take it to a service center they will check and replace it as it hardware problem

Adviser
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Yes. the audio in records is variable. sometimes it's good but sometimes its really bad. hope an upgrade fix this.
If i help you / find interesting my post, press kudos!
Highlighted
Master
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

you can test the microphone by dialing *#*#7378423#*#* and selecting service test.

Commissioner
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Re: Poor mic performance when recording

I do agree with you as the bass is ridiculous when you record as concerts and all but before you record next time set the sound settings and remove the bass boost and other extras it should work fine . cheers

One time poster
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

I have the same issue when recording, if the volume levels are "normal" it's okay, but the distortion is awful when the decibels go up a bit. The image quality when recording isn't too bad (picture quality and focusing), but the sound.. Let me present you the xperia sp version of green day, boulevard of broken dreams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLq-17yD2-Y

It's not just basses that cause distortion, as you can hear when the audience screams at the start of the video.

The camera and microphone of my iPhone 4, released 3 years ago, performs better than this one. I wasn't expecting much of an improvement, but it takes ages to wait for the camera button, the focus to finish, to take a picture, and the sound quality of the microphone is just bad.

In my audiophile opinion, it seems as if it's actually trying to cancel out noise by doing fancy stuff with the front/back microphone. Why does it record with the front microphone anyway with the back camera? :-)

Only intended to serve as an example of how bad the sound recordings are the Sony Xperia SP makes.
Visitor
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

This is pretty much exactly what I mean. The audio is just horrible. Here's another video (not mine) which shows this must be a common thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwDOrWJWxYc

I hope that it can be sorted with an update, if not then the camera is pretty useless for recording.

Very "nice" video recording with an Xperia SP. Wtf caused this? ;(
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

This microphone issue is imperative with nearly every Sony Ericsson Xperia phone, and the Sony Xperia SP, L, and ZR.

I shot this footage inside an aircraft cabin using my Xperia SP since my HandyCam was inaccessible. When I reached my destination and uploaded the footage, I was horrified by the audio quality.

Take a look for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D6sj2M_Okc

Memories ruined and trashed by poor hardware!

"Sony Bravia Engine is to Xperia owners what VTEC is to Honda Civic owners"
6 february 2014 - 8h25am : Take-off from runway 27L - A340-300, registrated 3B-NBJ, named "Le Chamarel" - Flight to Mauritius Island (Filmed with Sony Xperia SP)
One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Yep.  Me too.  I Use the basic (included) camera app in video mode to record my band rehearsals and gigs and the audio is crap> Really distorted and there doesnt seem to be amy way to turn down the recording gain.  I was wondering if there are better apps out there that allow to adjust recording levels?