account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Buying xperia SP

SOLVED
Regular
Message 11 of 21
Message 11 of 21

Re: Buying xperia SP

Please don't buy it. If I could turn, turn back in time.....I wouldn't have bought that thing. NOW I'M stuck and will never be refund.  Believe me don't buy it 

Commissioner
Message 12 of 21
Message 12 of 21

Specs and benchmarks are fine and that, but they're largely irrelevant in the real world. If you can, go try one out in a shop.

If you don't want to root, then consider the small built in storage. If you're a gamer it can be a dealbreaker as you can't move apps to an external SD card anymore (at least without rooting), and you'll soon run low (and slow!).

The screen flicker? Don't have it myself, but @ParaSense has pretty thoroughly looked into it, and it sure sounds like a software issue as it doesn't happen on 4.1.2.

As for KitKat? It's looking unlikely. In 6 months' time the SP will be past its support lifetime.

Overall, it's a well specced phone that performs just OK and for the money not bad. Would I buy another if I lost it? Probably not.

Regular
Message 13 of 21
Message 13 of 21

Okay for the memory... I dont care about having lots and lots of apps... I like to keep the phone clean... I think of buying and leaving it on 4.1.2... Slightly smiling Face Slightly smiling Face Slightly smiling Face

Commissioner
Message 14 of 21
Message 14 of 21

For that money (and if space isn't a concern - still, I'd get the 16Gb one as 8Gb is not a lot), check out the Moto G as well. Not as well specced, but getting great reviews. Cheaper too.

Adviser
Message 15 of 21
Message 15 of 21

hi Blackbox

Just out of interest would you care to offer what you WOULD buy if you lost your SP? because the idea that it performs just ok is a joke. it has excellent battery life and offers easily 20% performance over a Moto G for example.

btw The Moto G is a great phone for the price i bought one for my uncle and best friend but the SP is a better phone especially considering you can add storage. the screen is slightly better on the Moto G though.

Talent
Message 16 of 21
Message 16 of 21

I have bought 2 of these and once I flashed them with the 1.201 firmware they are very good 'phones for the price so I'm happy. I haven't suffered the flickering screen issue that many have but that might be because I'm using 'Velis' to control brightness with the system brightness handler disabled, maybe it just masks the problem but it works for me. The Sony brightness handler was dire anyway. I also use Nova Launcher which fixed most of the lag issues that seem to occur with Xperia Home.

If you look around it's possible to pick-up X-SPs at a discount following a lot of discontent with the 4.3 upgrade.

Dave

Message 17 of 21
Message 17 of 21

I would suggest GO FOR THE SP. It's a really good phone!!!:smileysmileythumbsup:

I play good number of games. Games with good quality graphics and animations. There is no performance lag.The internet is on whole day on my phone, plus I listen to music whenever I like, and play games like anything. And the best part is the battery is awesome! In spite of my heavy duty use.

I hope sincerely that SONY relases Android Kitkat latest version to the SP gang. (we have already signed a petition regarding this!).

With the new software update, believe me, the phone will work blazingly fast!!!

Hope people at SONY are listening! Smiling Face with Halo

Rookie
Message 18 of 21
Message 18 of 21

Do not under any circumstances buy the Xperia SP, until someone in Sony can be bothered to sort out the terrible software update they have just released which will completely make your phone inoperable. Just read the hundreds of posts and complaints on here since this software update was released....don't do it! Avoid it!
Highlighted
Talent
Message 19 of 21
Message 19 of 21

Oh.. so all these blogs,sites and many more forums are all created cause they saw my issue hmmmm.. i feel famous..
check this http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-SP/Maybe-its-time-for-SONY-to-answear-about-screen-flickering/m...

btw i dont have any other problem... and 4.1.2 works perfect with 22500k antutu
on 4.3 i get 24k antutu but i have the flickering 

Visitor
Message 20 of 21
Message 20 of 21

Really... Don't buy it. I bought mine 3 months ago and I never regreted a phone so much. 

Get the Nexus 5, it's not that much expensive and it's way better.