account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Are Modern Combat 2 and Block Breaker HD 3 viruses?

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Are Modern Combat 2 and Block Breaker HD 3 viruses?

Hi,

I have noticed that I am now getting "Modern Combat 2 stopped working" error messages on my phone. I am running 6.2.B.0.200. The problem is that I am pretty sure I never installed this game, and it is not in the list of apps in Play. So either this is a virus/trojan, or Sony installed it like the other crapware on the phone. I did some googling but couldn't see anything relevant.

Does anyone have any further info?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emperor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Re: Are Modern Combat 2 and Block Breaker HD 3 viruses?

its hard to tell, you could do a factory reset and then take screenshots of the list, this is not ideal, there are threads at the XDA forum and even here of the apps that are pre-installed in Xperia phones, that might give you an idea, also the number of bloatware apps vary per region/country and even operator.

even if you can't uninstall the apps you can disable them

settings > apps > all > look for the app > uninstall/disable it

if you download apps from the play store you should be safe also keep "unknown sources" uncheck

also if you want to install simple apps such as live wallpapers check the permisions, I don't think such apps should need/have access to your sms, call logs, contacts, etc.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hello, Modern Combat 2 Black Pegasus is available in Google Play.  But I can't find Block Breaker HD3. Just for conformation why don't you download a antivirus and scan your device?. I recommand Kaspersky Lite(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kms.free).

Walking in Water with Xperia. Happy to have KUDOS:smileysmileythumbsup: if I was helpful.

One time poster
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

I've done Avast, AVG and Sophos - the free Kaspersky doesn't seem to provide scanning, at least the one I found. In any case, nothing was found... I guess I was looking to see whether anyone else had the same apps, in which case it would be a simple case of crapware. This is definitely the last non Google experience device I'll be buying... Unless Google start putting crapware on phones!

Thanks.

Emperor
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

you don't need any of those apps, antivirus,for some reason those antivirus consider certain files as virus, also you do not need taskillers, task managers, battery apps, etc.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Wow you like replying uliwooly! Please tell me how one might go about detecting whether an application has been installed via malware or simply by Sony, if not via some form of anti-virus/malware software. Sony doesn't give the option to uninstall many apps - they are included as crapware (unwanted, uninstallable) by Sony.

I can't find the list of crapware that Sony includes in their images - does anyone know whether this list exists, and where if it does?

Thanks!

Emperor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

its hard to tell, you could do a factory reset and then take screenshots of the list, this is not ideal, there are threads at the XDA forum and even here of the apps that are pre-installed in Xperia phones, that might give you an idea, also the number of bloatware apps vary per region/country and even operator.

even if you can't uninstall the apps you can disable them

settings > apps > all > look for the app > uninstall/disable it

if you download apps from the play store you should be safe also keep "unknown sources" uncheck

also if you want to install simple apps such as live wallpapers check the permisions, I don't think such apps should need/have access to your sms, call logs, contacts, etc.