account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

The 8GB model storage only has only 1.5 GB free

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 3 of 141
Message 3 of 141

The 8GB model storage only has only 1.5 GB free

I just received my Xperia M4 Aqua, and the internal memory available for installing app is only about 1.5 GB

I tried to move the apps to my microSD card (class 10) but just part of them is moved.  The phone is good, but the limited storage really annoys me.

Please allow the M4 Aqua users to move the whole apps to microSD card or uninstall some native apps (some apps of Google that i cant uninstall), 1.5 GB is too little

140 REPLIES 140
One time poster
Message 1 of 141
Message 1 of 141

Very low internal storage

When i purchased phone, it claimed a 1GB ROM and 4GB RAM, and of all that only 1.72GB of internal storage is available, of that most of it used by your preinstalled apps. I merely installed 3 apps and it says running out of space. Feeling being cheated after this purchase
Message 2 of 141
Message 2 of 141

Re: Very low internal storage

Are you sure you are talking about the correct device?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Emperor
Message 4 of 141
Message 4 of 141

Re: The 8GB model storage only has only 1.5 GB free

@saver2012

I'm sorry to say this, but that's not up to Sony but Google (apps to sd card), also you can't uninstall preloaded apps w/o rooting your phone. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 5 of 141
Message 5 of 141

@uliwooly wrote:

@saver2012

I'm sorry to say this, but that's not up to Sony but Google (apps to sd card), also you can't uninstall preloaded apps w/o rooting your phone. 

I also bougt yesterday this handset, but i am enormously unhappy with the internal storage, since sony promised for 3 gb free user storage. 

I would also root the phone, if it wouldn't void the warranty. But my motivation would not be uninstalling preloaded apps, but rather use the SD Card as a merged partition. (see: apps2sd)

So i could have 8 gb + (max.)128 gb "internal" storage and the problem would be solved!

I hope that, sony make it with a software patch. otherwise i will return it unwillingly. Because except for the storage problem the handset is really brilliant.

Emperor
Message 6 of 141
Message 6 of 141

@erdik1323

When you bought this phone the 16GB option wasn't available? 

I can't find the 3GB available for user on the phone's website

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-m4-aqua/specifications/#tabs

but I do see it on the white paper 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 7 of 141
Message 7 of 141

@uliwooly wrote:

@erdik1323

When you bought this phone the 16GB option wasn't available? 

I can't find the 3GB available for user on the phone's website

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-m4-aqua/specifications/#tabs

but I do see it on the white paper 

Unfortunately the 16gb version of Xperia M4 isn't available in Germany yet. And I have the 8gb version (E2303), in which there were initially less than 1,3GB available. I have uninstalled the kobo app and some another and then it was like 1.5 gb free.

My old phone was a 16 gb nexus 4 (rest in peace) and it was enough for me. I thought with a 64 gb SD card and an internal free memory of 3 gb I would survive and it would an upgrade for me (as you mentioned, it's in the white paper). But now every once in a while I get an annoying warning about the memory being 85% full. I erase the cashed data and postpone the warning for a while. And another thing is, I can't install any new app, because I must install it in on internal storage, before I can push it in SD card. I uninstall an app, so that I can install a new one. Then I push it in SD card and install the old one again. It's not very convenient. 

And yes, all the apps are in my SD card, which are allowed to be so. And there is no miscellaneous data on my internal storage. 

As I said before, I find the phone brilliant and can afford an extra 50 euros for the 16GB version but it's not available in Europe and Germany for now. I will simply be more frustrated, if it's available after I give my 8 gb Xperia M4 back and buy another merchandise.

Sorry Sony but you should invest another 2 dollars and build a 16GB flash memory as standard. It simply doesn't fit in 2015. 

Learner
Message 8 of 141
Message 8 of 141

Same here in Hungary. The 16GB model is not available. I said, well, okay, I can survive with 3GB free space too. Then after I bought the devie, started using and updated the apps, I realised that I have only 2GB free space. So I just installed less than half of my basic apps (25 apps, earlier I used 60+ apps with a re-partitioned mid-range Xperia V device from 2012!). After 24hrs I have 600MB free space without any games... come on Sony, don't be a liar and don't scr** up this awesome device, cause it would be an awesome device. Slightly frowning Face

PS: and I guess I don't have to mention the really reeeally huge amount of complaining forum posts, blog posts and news about the internal storage on the internet. Slightly frowning Face

Learner
Message 9 of 141
Message 9 of 141

Hi it's me again. 

i was just preparing my phone to give it back. i made a factory data reset and wanted to look if all the preinstalled  apps were there again. they were of course there. and then i looked for the storage settings and voila! there were 2.8 gb free memory, as promised!  

i wondered what it be look like then, if i were to uninstall some of the preinstalled apps like kobo, facebook, avg virus scanner, etc. and then there were 3.24 gb free space.

if you say "pics, or it didn't happen" there you go: 

Edit: i added also the screenshot before uninstalling all the apps

Screenshot_2015-06-10-21-48-10.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-16-21-24-33.jpg

Learner
Message 10 of 141
Message 10 of 141

Yes, that's true, if you never update the pre-installed apps in the play store...

After the first start, I also had 3.06GB free space, but here comes the Play Store and asks to update the 15 (!) pre-installed apps... which eats one whole gigabyte... so you are left with only 2.06GB. It is more than the 1.5GB, I guess it could be because of the pre-installed Amazon apps on other variants, not on E2303 (I guess, according to the many posts on the net). Yet, the 2GB is still much less than 3GB, which cause lot of hassle. 1GB is quite a few apps or quite a few extra time without cleaning the app caches. I know it is not Sony's fault, that Google pushes updates to the pre-installed apps, but the fact that Sony does not think is through and thought that the 8GB will be unusable... well, it's Sony' fault sadly. They should sell the 16GB variant in Europe too, which I think is a quite big and important market for Sony... :/