account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

password to decrypt storage

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 182
Message 1 of 182

password to decrypt storage

HELP!
I've had my Sony Xperia M now for 2 months and I love it. But today, I was at home cooking and cleaning, when I started noticing that everywhere I went I kept hearing a ticking noise... I was going crazy trying to figure out where it was coming from until I realized it was my phone! 

I pulled my phone from my pocket and it was asking me to enter a password to decrypt storage... I've never seen this before, I've never set a password or encrypted anything. I had a pattern unlock set for my screen but that was it. Now I'm totally locked out of my phone.

I've tried everything, removed the battery, removed the sim, ran the update service, tried to do factory reset, and pc companion won't even recognize my device is connected... Everywhere I go online people say this is impossible, and that the phone is probably stolen. I can prove I'm the original owner no problem, I just want a solution. 

I live in Italy and they aren't very "Sony-friendly" here, all the service stores mostly cater to i-phones and Samsungs, so I would have to actually mail my phone to someone to look at, which I really really don't want to do. Somebody please give me something to work with here because I can't afford the time it's taking me to figure this out... 

Thank you

181 REPLIES 181
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 182
Message 2 of 182

Re: password to decrypt storage

If you didn't enable this by yourself or by accident i suspect it has been enabled by a 3:rd party app or by company policy. If you for example use company email in the phone it's possible for your IT-department to enable encryption in the phone.

Without the code you can't access the phone but you can reset the phone using a computer which will remove the encryption but also all your data.

Download and install Bride for Mac or PC Companion from http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/ and then select the option to repair phone in the application. Note that the phone should not be connected before you select this option.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 182
Message 3 of 182

No company e-mail I haven't granted anyone authorization to have access to my phone, unless one of the games I downloaded is shady, but all my games came from popular developers so I shouldn't be the only "victim" 

I tried again as you suggested, but still PC companion won't recognize my device as being connected. I uninstalled and reinstalled PC Companion from the link. I tried to update, didn't work. I tried to restore, didn't work. I don't see anything that uses the word "repair" though... 

For the connection problem I've tried everything. I selected the options before connecting my phone. When connecting and turning on the phone, it just says it's searching for my device but never finds it. When connecting with the phone off it says "No phone / tablet connected". When I connect with power off holding the volume down button, it recognizes that my phone is connected but takes away the option to restore, and I wind up with Support Zone, Xperia Transfer, Contacts set up, and Media Go; then after about 10 seconds the phone automatically turns on and then Sync Zone, Backup & Restore, and File Manager reappear in the menu. 

This ticking noise just rubs it in and makes me feel like poop. I've been a long time supporter of Sony. Everything, from TV, phone, Vaio laptop, Playstation, all my accessories; for years... I never could have dreamed that I would ever have a problem like this. Crying Face

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 182
Message 4 of 182

Try making a repair of the phone in the following way and see if it works:

Start PC Companion without the phone connected and select Support zone -> Software update -> repair phone.

Follow the instructions from the software. The phone should not be connected until PC Companion tells you to turn it off and connect it with vol- pressed.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 5 of 182
Message 5 of 182

Thanks for trying to help... Tried that several times now... I got a message stating that an error has occured and my phone may be damaged. Then it recommends I retry with the latest available software. Then the next screen says Sony update engine failure (error 100)... I'm pretty close to throwin in the towel here, I've wasted 2 days sitting in front of my computers trying to fix this; might just break down and see if I can get a refund for time's sake. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 182
Message 6 of 182

If possible, try this using another computer and also try making a repair of the phones software using Update Service instead: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/.

If that doesn't help i would recommend that you contact your dealer, a service location or local Sony Xperia support (http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/).

Learner
Message 7 of 182
Message 7 of 182

Sorry forgot to mention I tried on two different computers, and got the same results. Also tried that update service from an answer I saw in another post... nothing... Going to go back to the store I bought it from today and put their customer service skills to the test. Thank you for trying :-)

Learner
Message 8 of 182
Message 8 of 182

Okay so after wasting 3 days, I spent the whole day today running around to get this thing taken care of. 
I went to the store I bought it from, and they told me the 40 euros I paid for insurance only covers a broken screen replacement. They told me to go to a service shop 30 minutes into town which took longer because it was impossible to find. The service shop turned out to be a Nokia service shop, and the man said he wouldn't even touch it and that he had to send it direct to Sony. 
The end result? I was told my only option is to wait a minimum of 25 days to recieve word from Sony as to what they can do for me. I spent 250 euro on a phone less than 2 months ago, and now I'm stuck for a month with nothing. I wasn't offered anything for my inconvenience, not even an apology. 
I'm over it, and I've learned my lesson. My next phone will definitely NOT be a Sony, that's for certain.
What a nightmare!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 182
Message 9 of 182

Sorry to hear that.

I recommend that you try contacting your local Sony Xperia support (http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/) for assistance if your dealer can't assist you.

Learner
Message 10 of 182
Message 10 of 182

Thank you sir, for your concern and your kindness :-) I appreciate you trying to help. I will post any developements to this thread just in case any one else runs into this problem, and also because it **bleep** feeling like you're the only one out to dry. 
We'll see what comes back from Sony... Hopefully no more drama once this month of phone-filled-frustrations comes to an end. 
Thanks again for your time. 
Ciao ciao