account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Is it safe to update with sideloaded update center app?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Is it safe to update with sideloaded update center app?

hello there, i m from india, we are not getting the update for android 4.3. i read many peoples updated "update center" app and got 4.3 update. i want to know is it safe to update this way??? Thinking Face 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Re: Is it safe to update with sideloaded update center app?

Your friend must have used a modified version of Update Center or a 3:rd party version and it's impossible for us to say if that's safe to use or not. But i would advise against it. As the update is not released for your phone you will be getting a version for another model/country/operator and if something goes wrong when updating the phones software using a 3:rd party software it's not covered by our warranty.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Updating the update centre will make no difference at all - If the update hasn't been released for your customization number then you won't receive it - Whatever you have read smells like a big fat lie - the only thing you can do to get the update sooner is to manually flash another countries firmware

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adviser
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

My friend updated "Update Center" and he received android 4.3 for his xperia m c1904 in india. He downloaded "Update Center"apk file from another source and side loaded that. is it safe to do the same?? 

some details i found from his phone:

Phone Software version : 1272-2325_15.4.A.0.23 GENERIC-user

Customization Version : 1274-3899_R3C 

This is some what is same as android 4.1.2

I don't want to flash .ftf file.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Your friend must have used a modified version of Update Center or a 3:rd party version and it's impossible for us to say if that's safe to use or not. But i would advise against it. As the update is not released for your phone you will be getting a version for another model/country/operator and if something goes wrong when updating the phones software using a 3:rd party software it's not covered by our warranty.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

Adviser
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

If i successfully updated to 4.3 with my own risk, then what about warranty?? it will stay in warranty or void??

Sorry for my bad english..Slightly smiling Face

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Probably void if it's different firmware to what came shipped with your phone

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman