account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Pixel navigation bar (oreo issues)

Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Pixel navigation bar (oreo issues)

Hello,

Beforehand, I'd like to mention that I'm a relatively new Android user, with this Sony Xperia X f5122 being the first smartphone I have that doesn't run on iOS.

I was genuinely happy with this phone until it prompted me to install an update yesterday.

After the installation was finished, the phone did gloomy surprise me by booting up with the Pixel-styled navigation bar installed and used at the place where I used to have the elegant-looking set of Xperia buttons. Then it has began, -- my journey of neurotic attempts to find any settings that were never there. I've rebooted the device multiple times, swtiched custom and default themes. If this information could be of any use: Xperia themes that come with custom navigation bar icons do change the look for the buttons.

The most depressing and dubious part is that I couldn't find any complaints on this issue online. I'm trying to convince myself that this is rather a bug specific to my phone and not people's complience with this aesthetic terror? (I spotted and counted 7 different colours when home button is tapped)

I  understand I might appear as a typical ex-iOS user to all of you folks, making a huge deal out of simple icons replacement, but please try to understand and advise whether this is normal and if there are any actions I can take to get back the navigation bar I liked this much.

Thanks and regards,

Yevgeniy

6 REPLIES 6
Learner
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Pixel navigation bar (oreo issues)

oU6gdoV-w6U.jpg 

Although I've decided to limit this thread to the navigation bar issue only, I did name the topic 'oreo issues', which I guess leaves me no choice, but to also mention I'm having auto-brightness and 'Do Not Disturb' mode complaints, but I,'d prefer addressing the navigation bar issue first.

Thanks,

Yevgeniy 

Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

@eughcus

The middle "home" button is taking this shape in Oreo because it reflects the status of the new "Google Assistant". This double circle indicates that Google Assistant is enabled, and will look like a single circle if it is disabled.

I believe that most Xperia Themes can modify these buttons, and also some 3rd party launchers. Did you try any of these?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@Quester

Hi and thank you for your response!

I'm not sure that will be of any help, however, I wonder how exactly do I disable the Google Assistant? Like I said, -- Xperia Themes do change the buttons, but I want my old default Xperia icons. They seem to be overidden by these new Pixel icons, as even when any of the default Black/Lime/Rose/White themes are applied, -- I get these new cheap-looking ugly icons.

I'm having second thoughts regarding the 3rd party launchers as from what I was able to see is that the best I could do with them is to decorate the navigation bar with some **bleep** emojies and such. Anyway I think even if I succed at accomplishing of what I want with the help of 3rd party, I feel this process unnatural, like turning it all inside out. I'm holding an Xperia in my hands afterall, why would I try making Xperia replica with it? However, please suggest a decent 3rd party if you may so, any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yevgeniy

Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

In addition to that, just noticed my volume control buttons are no longer working. Great.

Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

@eughcus

Try this theme:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marcogullo.marshmallow&hl=en&rdid=com.marcogullo.m...

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Learner
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Try this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marcogullo.marshmallowsnb&hl=en

but still its not perfect cause when you go for example to text messages, the nav buttons are all white on white background....ffs im really raging....

Its real shame that xperia X doesnt have option like other oreo phones to change the navigation bar....