account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

How can I disable Google now?

Learner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

How can I disable Google now?

OK I can't stand the swipe left for Google now. I hate it to the point i am ready to sell this phone and move on. How do u disable it? I can't imagine why anyone would want it there over standard home screen. I like to have 3 ho. E screens. One central and one either side. If this phone e is unable to provide this simple requirement I have of it then it has to go. Seriously even when disabled and no feed is there it still hogs a home screen. I can't express my dislike of this enough. Hope someone can help as this phone e was expecting several and frankly I hate it because of this one simple thing. Xperia Xz BTW if you need that info. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: How can I disable Google now?

Hi @Dom01,

Welcome to the community. 

Here's all the information on how to disable Google Now:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2824784?hl=en&ref_topic=6048834

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

CameronT wrote: 

Here's all the information on how to disable Google Now:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2824784?hl=en&ref_topic=6048834

This will simply remove personalized cards from Google Now app. It will not disable Google Now itself and will not remove that extra screen on the left.

To the OP:

Just install a better launcher, like Nova, and forget about this problem for good. These days nobody's using stock launchers anyway.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@Korben-Dallas,

I see, I misunderstood @Dom01's original query.

You can change the launcher back by resetting the app preferences under Settings > Apps > 3 dots > Reset app preferences. When you press the home button it will ask what Launcher you want to use. You can select Xperia Home from there.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

@CameronT wrote:

@Korben-Dallas,

I see, I misunderstood @Dom01's original query.

You can change the launcher back by resetting the app preferences under Settings > Apps > 3 dots > Reset app preferences. When you press the home button it will ask what Launcher you want to use. You can select Xperia Home from there.

Um... If I'm not mistaken, this time you misunderstood it even further.

The OP is asking how to remove the Google Now screen from the launcher (the leftmost screen you can swipe to in stock launcher).

As far as I know, it is not possible to remove it in Xperia stock launcher (Xperia Home). For which reason the only answer to tyhe OP's question is to ditch Xperia Home and use some other 3rd party launcher. Like Nova Launcher, for example.

Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

@Korben-Dallas@Dom01

Shouldn't this option be under home settings? Tap longer on screen, select the cogwheel for settings, go to advanced and there it is.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Exactly,  you Should find this option in the home settings... sketch-1483606400479.png

Emperor
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@Korben-Dallas

There's no reason to antagonize others, keep it friendly. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Oh man you guys are legends. Thanks for all the responses. I have wasted hours trying to do that. I had considered a new launcher but really like sonys picture widget so really wanted to sort it out properly. I can finally set this phone up so I can enjoy using it. Thanks again for all the responses! Appreciate it.
One time poster
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

In xz3 setting is called "google feed". When its disabled (long press on home screen, settings), this phone becomes usable