account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Strange behavior of sms counter

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Strange behavior of sms counter

In my xperia C5 default sms-application always show that one message was't read. Even if all was readed. Even if there are absolutely no messages inside.

I've tried to reset this application and clean the cash from settings. And it helps for a while, but after any incomming message problem appears again. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Re: Strange behavior of sms counter

In that case, make a backup of your messages using PC Companion / Bridge for Mac, or a backup application from Google Play. Then download this app and delete all SMS/MMS using it, restart your phone and then restore your backup. This way you shouldn't have to make a complete reset of your phone.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Genius
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Hi @anton_om

lIn this case, you can also try first to run a backup of the device information as explained here. Then perform a system repair using PC Companion or Bridge for MAC. This will factory reset your phone and erase all data. You might need to charge your device for about 1-2 hours before so the device has at least 80% battery. Make sure the device is not connected to computer or laptop and turned off until you are prompted (sometimes you have to press power button and volume up until the device vibrates 3 times or on some devices you have to press the small button near the SIM tray or on the back of the device). Start PC Companion -> Support zone -> Update my phone/tablet -> Blue Repair my phone/tablet -> follow instructions. When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button. The repair or reformat process will start. If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64 bit operating system adjust settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode -> chose Windows 7 or XP. Keep us updated please.

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Emperor
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

@anton_om

Do you have any other third party messaging app? are you using the preloaded messaging app or hangouts?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

@uliwooly

no third-party messengers and I'm use preloaded aplication.

@xavinux

don't want to try factory reset. too small problem to start adventure with saving data and total reset. )) it will be simpler switch to hangsout or install something else.

In general I just want to raise an issue for sony-mobile team. 

Emperor
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

@anton_om

Check if you experience the same while on safe mode

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Hi,

Could you try temporarily changing your default SMS app to Hangouts and see if you have any corrupt/damaged messages? You can change the default SMS app through Settings > More > Default SMS app. Corrupt or damaged messages should be marked with a "!" in Hangouts. Try to delete any that you might find and then change your default SMS app back to Messaging again.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@Christofer 

Hi! I've try it, but there is no bad massages with (!) in hangsout. 

I've done reset of sms-application again and make it default sms-messsenger again. When I receive a new sms (one!) it shows counter as 2. So problem is reproduced.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

In that case, make a backup of your messages using PC Companion / Bridge for Mac, or a backup application from Google Play. Then download this app and delete all SMS/MMS using it, restart your phone and then restore your backup. This way you shouldn't have to make a complete reset of your phone.

Learner
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

@Christofer Thanks for reply, will try.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

@anton_om Let me know how it works out for you!