account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia 5 Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mobile USA?

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Xperia 5 Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mobile USA?

Hello,

Does the Xperia 5 support WiFi calling and/or HD Calling (Voice over LTE) on T-Mobile USA?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Xperia 5 Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mobile USA?

Hi @jeremyan,

The Xperia 5 supports the feature but if a specific operator will support it, that question is better asked directly to the operator in question, in your case T-Mobile as it is up to them to support it if they want to have it. I don't have a list of all the operators that supports this feature and VoWiFi as the list would be endless since there are so many operators in all the different countries.

I don't know exactly how it works in the US, but I would assume that you need the US specific model (J8270) and perhaps the device needs to be bought from T-Mobile. Here in the Nordics you need the Dual SIM version of a device and with the Nordic software, otherwise it won't work.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Thank you Jonas,

Isn't this a 5 second email with the person at Sony Mobile running the North American release?  A simple "yes," "no," or "we haven't decided yet" would be welcomed.

Imagine T-Mobile's response if we ask them:  "We are one of the big 4 USA carriers and couldn't possibly know all the thousands of random devices released in the world that we don't sell in our stores."

The XZ1 Compact was not sold in T-Mobile stores, and did support the VoLTE feature. The unreliable information on the Internet says the device manufacturer (Sony) has to decide whether to certify it, i.e., decide to pay for it, but I have no idea if that's correct - if it is then the answer should be even easier.  Your help is appreciated!!  (and I hope that it supports it)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hi again @jeremyan,

I don't have the contact information to the person responsible for this, but I can of course check if I can find some more information. All the information I have available is that the device supports both features (Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE).

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what the process looks like but I know in the Nordics, Xperia devices was the first ones to support this at the operators that offered the service back in the Xperia Z5-series days. This can of course depend on the Sony office in Sweden and it's easy communication between both parties.

Let me do some more digging!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.