account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

Talent
Message 141 of 182
Message 141 of 182

Re: SONY XPERIA 1 fingerprint scanner is terrible!

Don't you think this scanner is too thin?

Also by knowing all its issues and how bad it is, why they decided to use it in xperia 5???

The old scanner from previous devices like xz premium was perfect comparing to this...

Adept
Message 142 of 182
Message 142 of 182

Re: SONY XPERIA 1 fingerprint scanner is terrible!

Perhaps it's people with big fat greasy fingers after eating chips who have this problem. Grinning Face

Seriously. I think you need to clean scanner more often as it builds up a layer and becomes less sensitive. Also cold weather doesn't help for those who work in the freezer section of local market. Loudly crying Face 

One time poster
Message 143 of 182
Message 143 of 182

Fingerprint sensor

Tužan sam, jer na ovako skupom i kvalitetnom uređaju ne radi senzor otiska prsta. Rijetko kad proradi. Kako ste to mogli dozvoliti u tako uglednoj kompaniji. ☹️

I'm sad because this expensive and quality device doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. Rarely does it work. How could you allow that in such a reputable company. ☹️

gt

Enthusiast
Message 144 of 182
Message 144 of 182

Re: Fingerprint sensor

After all issues with FPS now it doesn't work at all. FPS is trash. I tought FPS is normal thing in 2019. But I was wrong. FPS not working in 2019.? This is shame.

Update:

I think it is hardware problem because in Service menu it says Sensor not OK.

Talent
Message 145 of 182
Message 145 of 182

Any news regarding some improvements in FPS after the update to android 10, please? Slightly smiling Face

Commissioner
Message 146 of 182
Message 146 of 182

I have not seen any quantum leap change.  Still hit and miss after 5 days since update to Android 10.  I plan on going a full week, then deleting my two registered fingerprints (same finger) and seeing if re-registering results in any improvement.

Bob H

Regular
Message 147 of 182
Message 147 of 182

I'd like to update this thread to keep it going - since this is obviously a reocurring issue.

I too experience issues with the Xperia 1 Fingerprint sensor - it's rather erratic to say the least. I've re-registered virtually every finger & both thumbs mutiple times over the course of the last couple of months & still end up with frequent failed readings. To the extent that only a phone restart will lend a temporary fix to the issue.

Since this is a security issue, with Applications making more use of the Fingerprint sensors within devices, Sony should be taking this very seriously.

I love the device otherwise; but this is absolutely devastating to the user experience and nerve wracking when you are unable to unlock your device when using the primary security option.

**Update**

Check the Xperia 5 forum - there is a lengthy thread there which also references very similar issues.

Pioneer
Message 148 of 182
Message 148 of 182

I just deleted all registered fingerprints and even creating new fingerprints is not fluid.

Maybe the sensor?

After the update it is more reliable however than before.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Commissioner
Message 149 of 182
Message 149 of 182

I've been running Android 10 for 2 weeks now.  Just took the step to delete previous fingerprints and re-add.  Something has changed as I got way more "Partial fingerprint detected" and "Could not process" messages" than ever before.

Will run a week now and see if it's more reliable.

Commissioner
Message 150 of 182
Message 150 of 182

The Xperia 5 thread is interesting in that the originator of the thread states he holds the phone in his left hand.  I wish there was a way we could take a poll and find out if that is a factor.

I also hold my phone in left hand.

At this point the fingerprint sensor is nothing more than a novelty as it is not reliable.

Bob H