account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

Regular
Message 2 of 182
Message 2 of 182

WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

This is starting to get annoying as ***! 

While other photnes have undrescreen scanner, this one doesn't even work!!!

Thats a complete disaster! How can it be so bad!? It was perfect in all previouse xperia phones!

What happened here? Maybe due to its glossy material these time? I don't know... But it works only 1 out of 5 times at best! I did try rescanning fingers, restarting phone, updated to new  Android version - NOTHING. And the worst thing is that it probably won't be fixed with software update. It's like they over there in Sony don't even use their devices before selling them! Like the problem with XZ2 Premium camera coating! What a shame. 

181 REPLIES 181
One time poster
Message 1 of 182
Message 1 of 182

Fingerprints sensor problem

I love my xperia 1, but the fingerprints sensor does not.

It always tell me the finger is wet or it cannot read the fingerprints...

But... My finger is dry and works perfectly on my HTC.

Do you have the tips for me to improve it?

Pioneer
Message 3 of 182
Message 3 of 182

Re: WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

The chance of having a match can be augmented by scanning your preferred finger twice.

First delete all scans, reset, to be sure.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Message 4 of 182
Message 4 of 182

@Strampke wrote:

The chance of having a match can be augmented by scanning your preferred finger twice.

First delete all scans, reset, to be sure.

This is always exactly what I do. Tbh I've not had a failed read yet.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sage
Message 5 of 182
Message 5 of 182

I've usually found that redoing any finger you have problems with (name each finger in settings) will deal with misreads. The X1 is no worse than my previous Xperia Z Premium for occasional misreads

Regular
Message 6 of 182
Message 6 of 182

At the beginning, out of the box, when i first got my phone and had setup my scan, one finger stopped working.

I had to delete the scan and redo it, since then, I haven’t had issues. And this is with a case on it too.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 182
Message 7 of 182

I have never had any problem with my fingerprint scanner on both my previous and current X1 at all. 

I would suggest registering your fingerprints again by first, of course, making sure your fingers are clean and the same for the scanner. Then, register your fingerprint from all possible angles (including the sides) that you might pick up/ unlock your phone with. As mentioned by others, you could do more than 1 scan per finger, if it helps.

I have registered 3 of my fingerprints and they work most of the time. If it doesn't work, I usually clean my fingertips and my scanner to ensure it functions as expected. Hope this helps. 

One time poster
Message 8 of 182
Message 8 of 182

Try cleaning the sensor, should be done daily!

Adviser
Message 9 of 182
Message 9 of 182

Yep, scanner is awful in this model compared to my previous XZ.

I've double scanned one finger and a third scan with a different finger and it still doesn't work.

Most of the time I ran out of tries and have to unlock the phone with my PIN code.

Very, very annoying that the scanner doesn't work as it should.

It doesn't matter if my finger/scanner is clean or dirty.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 182
Message 10 of 182

I have got no problems with fingerprint scanner.

Works fast and reliable.

Kind regards