account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

Enthusiast
Message 111 of 146
Message 111 of 146

Re: Useless fingerprint sensor

Pretty much the same issue for me lately. It worked well to begin with, but now it randomly chooses not to work, usually when I really need it to or worse, if I'm trying to show the phone off to somebody!

One time poster
Message 112 of 146
Message 112 of 146

Don't try to reset to factory settings, it will not help. I'm pretty sure this is hardware issue.

Commissioner
Message 113 of 146
Message 113 of 146

I wonder what it would take for c|net or other tech writer/analyst to pickup on this thread and give it some major visibility?

Enthusiast
Message 114 of 146
Message 114 of 146

@fanva wrote:

Don't try to reset to factory settings, it will not help. I'm pretty sure this is hardware issue.

So we have to go maintenance? Or wait for the upgrade ?

Adept
Message 115 of 146
Message 115 of 146

Have you noticed that sometimes FP scanner works on its own when you don't even touch it? Recently I noticed that when the phone was laying on the table it was showing the message "Couldn't process fingerprint. Try again later" several times and I didn't even touch the phone (the screen is on "always on" mode).  Also when you blow with hot air from your mouth closely to the scanner it will also react and say "Couldn't process fingerprint. try again later". 

Enthusiast
Message 116 of 146
Message 116 of 146

Re: WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

There are a couple of things I imagine the software would do when registering and using fingerprints.

First is that when registering the fingerprint, it must analyze the samples taken and reject samples that cover ones already taken, to build as large a coverage as possible of the fingerprint. It would also need to rotate the samples to build the map.

Second, when detecting a fingerprint, it must again apply rotation in detecting the print to accommodate for touching the sensor with the finger at a different angle than during registering.

If it's a software problem, the above isn't done right by the phone.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 117 of 146
Message 117 of 146

@mfuad wrote:

Have you noticed that sometimes FP scanner works on its own when you don't even touch it? Recently I noticed that when the phone was laying on the table it was showing the message "Couldn't process fingerprint. Try again later" several times and I didn't even touch the phone (the screen is on "always on" mode).  Also when you blow with hot air from your mouth closely to the scanner it will also react and say "Couldn't process fingerprint. try again later". 

yes,same

Apprentice
Message 118 of 146
Message 118 of 146

Guys, did anyone find a solution?  In my case the fingerprint recognizes about 5% of attempts. It's really bed.

Tried to register the same finger again and again it doesn't help.

Commissioner
Message 119 of 146
Message 119 of 146

I was boarding a flight yesterday, hands full and go to one hand unlock using the finger print sensor to show my boarding pass which was on my phone, would not work.  Had to put everything down I was carrying and do my PIN.  

Commented to the gate agent and a dozen people behind me "Junk Sony Phone .... sorry!"  One guy yells back get a OnePlus ... ha!   Nerd Face

Bob H

Enthusiast
Message 120 of 146
Message 120 of 146

In our region many user go repair then get a new phone, and the same problem will occur after around two weeks. The maintenance staff have no idea where the problem was. 

These  are the problems we know:

1.Every mobile phone will have this problem sooner or later.

2.It has nothing to do with the fingerprint recognition rate, it just not working randomly.

3.Restart can solve the problem temporary without clean fingerprint module,But there will be problems again in a few minutes.

4.After the last upgrade, it seems that this problem has been solved stable  for few more weeks ,Just like when you get a new one, there will be no problems in the first few weeks.