account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

Sage
Message 101 of 146
Message 101 of 146

Re: Xperia 1 - Finger print scanner does not works sometimes

Can anyone from Sony support on here please acknowledge this is a problem! I've had to give up using the fingerprint sensor completely - which is appalling for a flagship phone. 

Having been a loyal Sony phone user for many years - (Z - Z3+ - XZ Premium, and many Sony Ericsson phones before them) I think I'm finally going to give up on them, and get a Pixel phone within the next year or so. That has proper support and updates and change logs. 

Commissioner
Message 102 of 146
Message 102 of 146

Re: WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

I tried all the 'tips' mentioned in this thread, decided I'd call Sony Support.

They wanted me to factory reset the phone.  I said NO WAY!  Not going to be your guinea pig and it's not proven according to posts in this thread to fix the problem.

At least I hope it got entered into their problem call database.  They don't seem to hold all the messages in this thread as sufficient evicence of a problem.

Bob H

Talent
Message 103 of 146
Message 103 of 146

Registering the little finger always works

Adept
Message 104 of 146
Message 104 of 146

Since the problem is still not solved it would be helpful at some point to have an option to set a limit to number of fail attempts to unlock with fingerprint reader. Currently by default it lets you fail only 5 times and then says "Too many attempts try again later" and you have to wait or enter the pin, which is very inconvenient. Why not let users set their own limit? From developers settings for example. My fingerprint reader works 1 out of 6 attempts and I would increase the limit to 10 so may be on 6th or 7th attempt it will work.

I know it is not a solution but it would ease the pain.

One time poster
Message 105 of 146
Message 105 of 146

I have also been having issues with the FPS, 80% of the time it would't work, "Too many attempts try again later" it's very frustrating. I have previously tried deleting and readding, adding it as a second, but with no improvement, not sure about software, I'm on O2 and apparently up to date.

Having searched online for a solution, I found this thread, after reading through alot of the posts, I once again tried to delete and readd a few times, with no change, but then I've found that my recent attempt of adding the same thumb 3 times, has now improved it, although i've only been testing it for just over an hour, but it's now 80% success, instead of fail, only time will tell.

Enthusiast
Message 106 of 146
Message 106 of 146

I've had only Xperia phones since Sony Ericsson era and even further back in time, spanning over a period of over 20 years. I'm clearly a Sony fanboy, always ready and eager to protect its honour against everybody else. I'm argumentative, fierce, blunt and direct. 

Many of my recent phones had fingerprint scanners and worked flawlessly. 

BUT my present x1 has by far the WORST  ever fingerprint scanner of all. The rate of success does not surpas 20 percent, the rest of 80 percent is only frustration and an utter desire to smash it against the wall. I memorised 5 prints of the same thumb in all possible angles and positions but in vain. I'm sure it's a hardware flaw, none of the recent updates managed to do any good. 

The freaking phone must be pattern unlock almost every single time. 

Where is the proverbial quality of each and every item made by Sony?? 

Shame on you! I'm almost sure this is my last Xperia ever, I'll switch to the crappiest Chinese phone brand, this way at least I won't be so disappointed. 

One time poster
Message 107 of 146
Message 107 of 146

I also have problem  with FP to unclock the phone.So far I have no problems to use FP to log in any apps that I setup to log in with FP (work 100% since I have the phone). So the hardware is OK? The problems only are only for unlock the phone? Of course, I can not use FP to unlock the phone after washing my hands.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 108 of 146
Message 108 of 146

@Korben-Dallas wrote:

Can confirm that fingerprint scanner ocassionaly stops working. The presence of the scanner is still acknowledged by the phone and the apps, but it refuses to recognize fingerprints. This is not about cleaning it: cleaning the scanner and/or the fingers does not help at all. The scanner just stops working properly. It registers the touches, but always consistently reports recognition failure.

Rebooting the phone fixes the problem, at least temporarily. But some systematic issue is definitely there.

Now I am very sure that the problem with this fingerprint is not about recognition rate but stop working randomly. 

One time poster
Message 109 of 146
Message 109 of 146

Useless fingerprint sensor

Yes in 9 out 10 attempts im able to unlock my phone just once, the rest are just failures, e.g, not recognised, couldn't process, partial fingerprint, most common is, not recognised.

So what's the problem with this pretty much useless fingerprint sensor? 

I registered 5 fingerprints, i deleted them then made them again, yet same issues. 

The fingerprint sensor on my xz premium works flawlessly, but on my Xperia 1... No words to describe how bad the sensor is. 

Any solutions? 

Talent
Message 110 of 146
Message 110 of 146

Re: Useless fingerprint sensor

Register the little finger

@Nedko69 wrote:

Yes in 9 out 10 attempts im able to unlock my phone just once, the rest are just failures, e.g, not recognised, couldn't process, partial fingerprint, most common is, not recognised.

So what's the problem with this pretty much useless fingerprint sensor? 

I registered 5 fingerprints, i deleted them then made them again, yet same issues. 

The fingerprint sensor on my xz premium works flawlessly, but on my Xperia 1... No words to describe how bad the sensor is. 

Any solutions?