account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

Rookie
Message 91 of 146
Message 91 of 146

SONY XPERIA 1 fingerprint scanner is terrible!

Sony, it's Terrible! and you should solve ths problem!

Pioneer
Message 92 of 146
Message 92 of 146

Re: SONY XPERIA 1 fingerprint scanner is terrible!

On my device FP was functioning poorly compared to XZ3.

After the system update I deleted my fingerprints, cleaned the sensor and added fingrprints.

I must say it's a lot better now.

Not perfect, still not responsive with wet fingers.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Commissioner
Message 93 of 146
Message 93 of 146

Re: WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

Fingerprint scanner on my Xperia 1 is hit and miss too.  Tried all the tips mentioned here such as removing all prints, re-adding and doing finger twice, no help.  Crazy that it works sometimes and then goes long stretches of unable to use.

Not what I expect from a $900 phone.

Bob H

USA

Commissioner
Message 94 of 146
Message 94 of 146

I don't have a finger print issue on my Xperia 1.

But also I double-up on my finger. I used two slots for the same finger.

Other Tips:

I also use face-unlock (smart lock) too to prevent any hiccups during any daily use. I'm so glad Google fixed that, I was having problems on my Xperia Z2 Premium with that.

There is a near use option "on-body detection" too, but I don't feel secure to use it.

Screenshot_20190915-192406.png

Screenshot_20190915-192349.png

Apprentice
Message 95 of 146
Message 95 of 146

I have the same issue with fingerprint scanner as many peaple here.

I deleted and re-added 2 times, but only about 30%-40% will be successful recognized. The rest times I need to use the PIN cause of the message "Too many wrong recognitions, please try later"

For ~900€ smartphone it's really annoying!

NOTE:

-- No Vodafone branding

-- Build-Number 55.0.A.6.16

Sage
Message 96 of 146
Message 96 of 146

Just got the latest update 55.0.A.6.56 - fingerprint recognition is just as bad. I deleted all my old fingerprint scans, and tried to re-enter with cleaned finger and scanner. Only about one in 3 scans were recognised, and it went worse throughout the scanning process, as if the act of scanning the finger was incrementally decreasing the accuracy.

Sony, (who couldn't care less, it seems) - please acknowledge this as a problem, and fix it.

@Jonas or anyone else - can you help? 

Learner
Message 97 of 146
Message 97 of 146

I came up with a trick and the success rate actually goes up.
It's to register 5 same fingers...haha Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 98 of 146
Message 98 of 146

Xperia 1 - Finger print scanner does not works sometimes

Fingerprint in Xperia 1 is not reliable and feels complex to login. I am using Sep'19 patches. Sony, will it be a software or hardware issue.

Also others please respond with ur suggestions on Xperia 1

Talent
Message 99 of 146
Message 99 of 146

Re: Xperia 1 - Finger print scanner does not works sometimes

With the little finger it works 100% the other 80%

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 100 of 146
Message 100 of 146

@Korben-Dallas wrote:

Can confirm that fingerprint scanner ocassionaly stops working. The presence of the scanner is still acknowledged by the phone and the apps, but it refuses to recognize fingerprints. This is not about cleaning it: cleaning the scanner and/or the fingers does not help at all. The scanner just stops working properly. It registers the touches, but always consistently reports recognition failure.

Rebooting the phone fixes the problem, at least temporarily. But some systematic issue is definitely there.

Exactly the same here. This problem was not so obvious in the last few months,Maybe once a week, restart can solve the problem. But  begin at yesterday, The problem becomes serious and frequent  when the phone off screen for more than  few minutes problem will appear, frequentl. Restart can solve the problem immediately, but after a while problem again.

Funny thing is when the fingerprint does not respond you just keep rubbing up and down with finger and it will respond again sometime.I really don't understand if this is a hardware or software problem.