account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

WHY THE *** FINGERPRINT SCANNER IS SO BAD?!

Adviser
Message 41 of 143
Message 41 of 143

Re: Fingerprint reader unusable after update - Xperia 1

@GilgameshUK wrote:

I got mine flashed too

Mine has improved from around 80% success rate to around 99-100% and much quicker also (0.5 seconds from screen off)

Very impressed.

Do you have multiple registrations of the same finger or just one? after using it a bit more and testing I'd say mine is actually about 90%, but after the update I deleted the old registrations and replaced it with just one, as really thats all it *should* need.

Talent
Message 42 of 143
Message 42 of 143

Interesting

THat is the thing

I have not deleted or registered my finger print at all, since the update and used the same as last time.

I also only have one finger print logged, so no multiple registrations of the same print here.

Inhabitant
Message 43 of 143
Message 43 of 143

Yes same with me after update i delete my register fingerprint and make a new register but its always fail.

Using old firmwire my fpr always work

Inhabitant
Message 44 of 143
Message 44 of 143

New update,

I dont know what happen but now i can register 2y fingerprint. Still not reliable but o can use it.

Before this o always clean y finger and sensor but always fail.

Maybe because i register with room temperature using AC so its always failed

Talent
Message 45 of 143
Message 45 of 143

This Is interesting. 

Now in my experience all, Sony phones (that have the finger print sensor on the edge), have issues of operating correctly if your hands are slightly wet. 

This is even if they are slightly damp through sweat, I tested this out in the best way I could. 

Washed some dishes in the sink- soaking wet hands tried to use the Fp no response. 

Tried again partially drying hands first to simulate sweat in a hot country the best i could, still unresponsive. 

I wonder if the Fp sensor is infrared? 

Control test:

Tested in a room at 24c (we dont have air conditioning in houses the UK) 99% accuracy

Took the phone into a sauna and COVERED UP ALL THE phone-bar finger print sensor (so as to elminate external effects on the rest of the phone) left FP sensor uncovered. Accuracy went down to arounnd 45%

The only thing I can see is that they are looking at wet fingers through sweat etc and it fills the groves in the aforementioned and thus in infared gives a false releasing, due to light reflection off different angles on a wet finger? 

I took my phone to dubai on holiday to further test this and in 50 degrees c heat too.  In this scenario my accuracy of the FP went down from 80% to around fifty. Ofcourse this w3as before the latest firmware update.

However my theory is only guess work, until we know for sure on how the sensor recognises the finger prints. 

However it could explain why people in the UK generally have no problems with the finger print reader (colder country no sweaty hands to interfere with the reading) 

Might be worth posting a poll asking where users are from and  if they have an accuracy rating of less than 85% with the sensor. 

Hot country less accuracy 

Colder country more accurate Fp

Adviser
Message 46 of 143
Message 46 of 143

I think it might be the comparatively small area of the sensor too. My old G6 had a much larger circular sensor on the back, unless my hands were dripping wet there was never an issue with it.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 47 of 143
Message 47 of 143

Fp reader is still same after update, difficult to use

Adviser
Message 48 of 143
Message 48 of 143

I'm thinking it could also be the small surface area. My old Moto Droid Force had a large square FPS and I was able to lock/unlock with ease. 

Message 49 of 143
Message 49 of 143

I wiped my fingerprints from the phone when i got the update a week or so ago.

What I did do, and I can't understand why I never noticed it before was, that when you add a print, the animation seemed to tell me where to move my finger to, to get the next portion of the circular % area.

So the tiny fingerprint icon that moves about, I just did what it wanted, moved my finger to the left when it moved left, bottom left corner when it seems to show that, middle right, etc etc..

And not one single mis fire yet.

Sent from a sometime hot and sweaty(over the last few weeks anyway) to other times freezing cold Scotland.

Talent
Message 50 of 143
Message 50 of 143

HAHAH Iknow freezing cold-being a Yorkshire tyke