account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sony Xperia 1 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Huawei Mate X: are you joking Sony???

Commissioner
Message 21 of 76
Message 21 of 76

Re: Sony Xperia 1 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Huawei Mate X: are you joking Sony???

@Ninjabird7 wrote:

The Xperia 1 looks great. Six gb of memory and 128gb of storage is plenty of space. Samsung has to offer more if they didn't it would just be a small upgrade to the S9. I wish it did have wireless charging and wish the price was under $1000

Samsung offering much more as Sony right now and memory is just one of them. Without memory Samsung offering: better battery life, new charge method (copied form Huawei), own better assistant, updated protecion and many more. It's not just bigger memory, it's full package of features. This thread idea was to get discuss why Sony is not still in top 3 of best manufactors and was posted some example like Samsung and Huawei, which by the way came in leading top from almost 0... Sony can't bet in leading top 3 as best manufactor of smartphone with really good opitions about it from 90's. I understand that you are big fan of Sony, i'm too and that's great. But i can't find answer why Sony don't making cool devices as doing Huawei, Samsung or maybe Apple. But if say honestly Apple for me is not cool at all and it's just marketing trick. I remember in Apple's smartphones how worked Maps, own theirs maps... Slightly smiling Face

Important: Don't forget to say THANK YOU and GIVE KUDOS for users which answered & helped you Remote

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 22 of 76
Message 22 of 76

Re: Sony Xperia 1 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Huawei Mate X: are you joking Sony???

6gb or 8gb ram is not a big deal. Sony just has to reduce their price, I know Sony has better build quality, but ppl concern more about price

Commissioner
Message 23 of 76
Message 23 of 76

@HarveyLee wrote:

6gb or 8gb ram is not a big deal. Sony just has to reduce their price, I know Sony has better build quality, but ppl concern more about price

It's not just about RAM, Sony my opinion in several models did not presented big news at all. Xperia 1 is one of them in which is just video/display/audio update, which coming in every new models in all manufactors anyway. What is the point to buy a little bit updated model? Others manufactors presenting much more in theirs new models. RAM number it's just one small thing, reason and ect. I'm talking about much more, about all features and ect. Yes Sony have quality, but to spend 700 euros or more just for quality is not smart idea my opinion, others offering for similar price much more Slightly smiling Face

Important: Don't forget to say THANK YOU and GIVE KUDOS for users which answered & helped you Remote

Message 24 of 76
Message 24 of 76

@EUPHORIC wrote:

@HarveyLee wrote:

What is the point to buy a little bit updated model? Others manufactors presenting much more in theirs new models. 

You are joking surely, 

S10 is fundamentally the same design as S8

The camera hasn't really changed since S7 (except for putting features from the previous years Xperia)

The only really innovative feature is the in screen fingerprint that is rendered useless with any screen damage.

Sticking more ram chips in isn't innovation, it's a sales ploy, much like the days where graphics card manufacturers would stick more ram in than a competitor even though it really didn't need it.

I'll accept that others do add innovation, but Samsung??

Punching a hole in a oled is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Commissioner
Message 25 of 76
Message 25 of 76

@Cristian84 wrote:
Ok that was harshSlightly smiling Face))First of all the Xperia 1 is a prototype, there will be some changes on software and hardware and I am sure that it will have wireless charging.About wireless charging it is still a very slow process and about charging other phones lol, HUAWEI catch you to with that.It is a gimmick, it charge extremely slow, a show off copied also by Samsung.It is a big step from Sony started with the Xz2 Premium and that is the camera and I know this time it will be a **bleep** good camera.Screen wise, it will be 4k(the first 4k landed on a smarphone).Design wise, it looks very wired on screen but I am not judging till I see it.The things that makes me worry are some inconveniences and limitations.1)How fast will charge?2)will it shot in raw?how much freedom will give the pro mode?THE/A THEME ENGINE WILL BE A NICE ADDITION IF SONY DOESN'T WANT THAT MOST OF THEIR CUSTOMER TO USE LAUNCHERS3)an improvement over the side gesture.About Samsung S10 the front cameras are ruining that superb display.Sony is going more on the Japanese way this year,this is my feeling,and that is a good sign.

Even though Xperia 1 is a prototype, the features chosen are pretty much done. We already know that Sony has dropped Xperia Actions. Only focusing Gaming Enhancer, and moving Night feature as a quick shortcut and inside settings. Did they add a Movie Focus? While watching a movie will I get a notification when they were hardcore Sony Film Production at MWC 2019? 

I frustrate me Sony keeps dropping cool useful features to the user, but again to them only a flash in pan tricks for the use case for the phone marketing poly useful for the time. Instead of adding it as a "legacy feature" trophy. Negatively, just such an Indian Giver.

Oh hardware side;

They give us side printer, take it off, put it back on.

Qi charging, but we all know Qi charging is slow, but again, putting it on, putting it off.

Same as the 3.5mm jack on, which I can't use my Square Reader, and they don't make a C-Type Square Reader.

Especially the 5-pole 3.5mm jack did not transfer to mid-range.

Commissioner
Message 26 of 76
Message 26 of 76

@viridis wrote:

@EUPHORIC wrote:

@HarveyLee wrote:

What is the point to buy a little bit updated model? Others manufactors presenting much more in theirs new models. 

You are joking surely, 

S10 is fundamentally the same design as S8

The camera hasn't really changed since S7 (except for putting features from the previous years Xperia)

The only really innovative feature is the in screen fingerprint that is rendered useless with any screen damage.

Sticking more ram chips in isn't innovation, it's a sales ploy, much like the days where graphics card manufacturers would stick more ram in than a competitor even though it really didn't need it.

I'll accept that others do add innovation, but Samsung??

Punching a hole in a oled is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm not joking, if say honest i thinking if Sony will close smartphone section which manufactors smartphones i will buy in future, i like what doing Huawei, but... if say serious i'm still careful looking into Chinese products. I have Amazfit Verge smart watch which i like, but i bought it just few weeks ago, it's enough new model, so i will see can i trust in Chinese products.

The questions which i posted i think asking a lot of people, users or maybe experts and ect. I understand that you are fan and maybe to be objective it's too hard to you. You don't see any problems in Sony's smartphones, but i see, even when i had chance to use Huawei PRO 20 model. I like Sony too, but some others manufactors helped me to see how many problems have Sony's smartphones and how many new features have others.

You writing about Samsung's design, can you link it to me or post it where i wrote that Samsung is perfect design manufactor? If you will read all post again i could post that Samsung S8 and S9 is the models which i liked design, but i'm not big fan of Samsung design at all and one of reason why i don't like Samsung's smartphones in general is design. I don't understand why you reading between lines? Samsung was just a example, coz in trailer offered with newest flagship most fetaures. It doesn't mean that Samsung as manufactor is the best. The best as designer of smartphones, the best as smartphones creator and ect., to me. I writing about Samsung and Huawei, coz they are in top of manufactors which is popular by many experts and by many awards founders. Coz they in theirs trailers of Samsung S10 and Huawei Mate X presented most updated and new features. That's all. Someone can tell me that Google making the best smartphones or did that in past with Pixels. So yours critic about design is from sky and sounds like grabbing to straw, plan B or just empty hanging on opinion which i posted.

About camera, well it's putting features from Xperia's previous models or not, most time Samsung doing camera better as Sony. It's not my opinion, i did not any tests, it's a lot of experts, people, users opinion and reviews. So all critics to Sony about camera sounds from not my lips, but from others which tested, checked and ect. I watched some reviews where was asked how can Sony did worst camera in smartphones when all using theirs lens only. From first look Sony can't do worst. Maybe it's problem that Sony still using old algorithms (it's again not my opinion, i read that even in this forum from some users, also from some reviews and ect.). 

About fingerprint, if you will break yours smartphone screen you faster will can't use smartphone at all. First at all no need to throw yours smartphone. I have Xperia C5 Ultra Dual from 2016 start, i havn't any problems with broken screen and even i hadn't insurance which offered to me my seller from broken screen and was suprised at all. My all others smartphones was smallest screen and when i bought it i kept it with my both hands, coz i wasn't get used big screen before, i was scare to throw it. But after three years i still have healthy screen. So if you trying to protect smartphone from fall, you can don't worry about broken screen. Fingerprint in screen first at all is very comfortable thing, my opinion. Second it's good idea at all.

About ram, i have almost 4 years old smartphone which have only 2GB ram. When i bought it i though how smooth is my smartphone and 2GB ram will be enough for works which i will do with my smartphone, but i was wrong, coz games like FIFA Mobile, NBA 2K19, Pubs, Apshalt 9, Gangstar New Orleans and ect., also Facebook, Messanger of Facebook and ect., eating ram a lot. I can't play these games for 2GB ram number, Facebook working fine, but eating a lot of ram so others apps suffering for that. After update to marshmallow which grabbing most ram GB my smartphone became slow, freezing and i need a lot of time to prepare it for some minutes to play FIFA Mobile. I don't buying smartphone like paranoid every year if i don't need to do that. In past was some models which i changed to new, coz i did mistake and i bough Sony's cheapest models, coz i though will be enough to me it. Everybody know what is Sony and price is from name. Coz from the same price you can buy others manufactors smartphones which the same specifications, but with lower price. Yes i mean Chinese manufactors or if say honest - Huawei. Ram is important to me and number 6 to flagship which cost more as 700 euros is too less my opinion at this moment, coz best models must have all the best features, included ram numbers. If you using smartphone just for call and to write message, buy - cell phone with great battery. I trying to use all features which i need like: GPS, Bluetooth, apps like Facebook, games and many more, which eating ram a lot and battery life. 8GB ram is really enough today, but as i mentioned i buying smartphone for some years and after 1 or 2 years 8GB rams will not be so more as today. And if Sony want to be leader in smartphone market must to add all the best what is in market right now and to think about future.

About innovation, Samsung my opinion most time doing just copy and paste process, and models like S10 or others is example: 4K and slow motion was copied from Sony, wireless charge two models and fingerprint place in screen was copied from Huawei and ect. So i don't think that Samsung is good innovator at all, but this time with S10 they offering much more as Sony and i talking just about trailers which prestented manufactors. I like Huawei company right now and theirs some newest models. I think they did big step to foward and i'm not suprised why they are in leaders top. My opinion they deserved to be number one much more as Samsung, but... people buying and they are happy of Samsung smartphones, so they must to know what is better for them. I can't get at all answer why people buying Samsung's smartphones, can you say it? Even if you think that Sony deserved much more attention as Samsung and Samsung is worst as Sony.

About OLED screen, as i mentioned i have Amazfit Verge which have OLED screen, it's just a watch, but looks screen really bright and shine, colours so beautiful and ect. I think Sony at last understand that IPS screen is not so good as OLED and if i'm not wrong at last added OLED in Xperia 1. 

I wanted discuss in this thread, not becouse i like Samsung and hate Sony, but as i mentioned i'm trying to find answers why Sony selling so less smartphones and Samsung doing that better. Why Samsung is so popular, but even Sony isn't. My opinion Samsung have better marketing, features and ect. On TV i see ads of S10 oevr and over. I did not saw Sony's smartphones trailers at all on TV, why? Why Sony don't trying to do that? It was copied or not it doesn't matter coz users and people with experts and reviewers showing with selling, topics or reviews who is popular so much... I like Sony and if Sony will close section of smartphones i don't know which manufactors products i have to buy in future. Today i see Huawei as one of manufactor which i can try to trust it, i like it some models, friends are happy with it, so... But Sony if will release something really amazing and cool like Huawei, i with pleasure will buy it smartphones further and again. But today Sony can't offer me what can Hauwei or maybe Samsung and i think i'm not alone with that... Selling show who is now on top...Sad, but Sony isn't and it's true...

Message 27 of 76
Message 27 of 76

Yeah, if you like cool, I don't really know why you bother with the Sony brand in general. It's probably the least cool brand in the world, their marketing is non-existent. At least if you think of marketing as a tool to promote the coolness factor.

What Sony is good at is techology. They have R&D that works crazy hard to create some of the most iconic products for decades.

I can't think of any phone Sony released as "cool"  but literally all of them were the first at least at something.

Let me give you an example... Sony held the patent for Trinitron TVs and they were just by default for years better than any other product on the market, they didn't even need to market it. Today they still regularly get the award for the best TV on the market (even if they use LG panels), but they only hold the fraction of the market because they think it's enough to have a Sony logo on it to sell it.

Same with walkmans. First, best, iconic. Mp3 players? Arguably more beautiful and better sounding than the iPod, but it didn't have that level of marketing. I remember begging my grandfather to buy me a Sony mp3 walkman when everyone had the iPod. I got it of course Slightly smiling Face

Sony just has the "unintrusive excelence" branding, if you're looking for "cool", look elsewhere.

Look at the UI, just very clean stock looking smooth experience. They were never over the top like TouchWiz and HTC Sense...

As a cinematographer, I will put that camera to the test... I see Pixel as a camera for Instagrammers, and X1 for film makers. Of course I use the A7SII, FS5 and RED when needed (would be cool to see CineAlta being used as much as the Red).

Sorry for the rant, but yeah, the Xperia 1 definitely stands out, just not to most people.

Most people care about charging their earphones with their phone Slightly smiling Face Who cares about a freaking HOLE in the screen...

I just wish I could have it now. Capturing people's attention now for something they can buy in 4 months is wrong on so many levels. 

Commissioner
Message 28 of 76
Message 28 of 76

Samsung has it's Galaxy Apps for everything; Samsung Calendar, Samsung Notes, Samsung Health. It's doubling up on everything when Google already has it covered.

Sony is a bit keen on having Google Apps do everything. However Sony does has it's own apps; but they do not stick with them to the end, the features are usually just marketing ploys to buy the current phone line, then drop them after one or two lines later. For Samsung, even if their apps are not that great, they still stick around, i.e. Bixby.

Sony, on the other hand, will drop features depending on Big Data usage. However, that upsets us, users, because we notice the change. Sony makes very creative use case scenario features, but sometimes don't consider them a legacy feature. It's usually a low usage because Sony sometimes buries features inside settings. It's just the case of settings organization.

An inconsistency of hardware features across the phone lines; gyroscope (my biggest issue), glove mode (so simple), set speakerphone as default, 5-pole 3.5mm jacks

Apps that have been cut and I want back; Xperia Actions, Screen Record, Small Apps Mini Mirror, "write with any object", Timeshift burst, SensMe

Apps we get and still don't need; Sony News, Sony Lounge, Xperia Assist.

One of my biggest gripes is Xperia Contacts, at the time of Timescape, Xperia Contacts could merge Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn contacts, plus review photos of contacts. They moved to a stock Google, but stock is boring. Not even picked a good Google Contact app; as Google Hangout's contact app is better; it can see last e-mails, calls, and shared calendar events.

I like Sony, sometimes, but when they take features away, they forget a little bit of who they are, so it just bothers me. Cool feature today, but not still there to the end, why make me suffer across multiple cellphone generations!

X 10 Plus doesn't have Gyroscope, are they really in the gaming space?

Xperia 1 plus took out Xperia Action, why do they think automation isn't as good as AI?

Commissioner
Message 29 of 76
Message 29 of 76

"Very few carriers plan to support mmWave 5G frequencies in 2019, one of these is Japanese carrier NTT docomo, set to roll it out this year. This is perhaps the reason, why Sony went full-in on mmWave support, and could be prepping Xperia models to support this tech later in the year. " (source - XperiaBlog (Unofficial)) - Sony must understand what they are international company and in others market already is ready for 5G and need 5G devices as did Samsung and Huawei and maybe others Slightly smiling Face

Think as Global comapny, not as Japan company Slightly smiling Face As i understand 5G in Sony's devices need will be to wait for a while, when others already made. Super, Sony, be in down again Slightly smiling Face

Message 30 of 76
Message 30 of 76

You are making no sense...

There are no 5G phones on the market yet and there are no 5G carriers yet. In the world. It will all be slowly rolling out this year and most manufacturers, including Sony, are expected to release 5G devices.

But even then, it will be years until 5G is usable in any kind of useful scenario. The first thing we might see is game streaming, but even that will take at least a year or two and will have the initial problem of signal penetration and coverage.

5G is this magical keyword that people are talking about that just makes no sense at present time and situation.